Speedo Cable/cruise control

Here's one I haven't seen discussed before-I am ready to change out the left inner fender and in the process want to delete the cruise control unit mounted atop it(sort of reminds me of the 'lunar module' used in the Apollo moon program-wonderfully functional in its day,no doubt- but not the prettiest choice to adorn one's shiny new inner fender)

Problem is the speedo cable-or cables as it is now.The input to the unit from trans(TH350) has a 5/8" dia threaded retaining nut,with approx 3/8''of inner cable exposed-the output to the speedo itself has a 7/8" dia nut with approx7/8"of inner cable exposed.

What is the fitting size at the speedo?Can I simply swing the cable from the input to the cruise right into ther speedo?(the casing looks long enough if the fitting is compatible). If I need a totally new cable assembly,you know the next question-where to procure a quality unit?

Lastly,can access to the rear of the speedo be obtained by only removing the dash pad,or is there more involved? Thanks,as always-I would rather know whats involved and have proper parts ahead of time... Brian

Not sure if your CC cable will fitm but www.thepartsplaceinc.com has the correct speedo cables...

Actually, I seem to remember that it was easier to get to the speedo cable FROM BELOW when you drop the steering column, but I might be wrong...

Is your cruise control A/C OEM or aftermarket? Does it work?

If it's OEM, do you want to trade for my cable?

I added cruise 20 years ago and it still works fine so I have a OEM used 350 THM 350 speedo cable assembly in the basement.

Bruce

Is your cruise control A/C OEM or aftermarket? Does it work?

If it's OEM, do you want to trade for my cable?

I added cruise 20 years ago and it still works fine so I have a OEM used 350 THM 350 speedo cable assembly in the basement.

Bruce

Are you the only fgmc original owner??

I envy you with a passion haha

Kenny,

No, there are others out there that are blessed. BTW I took delivery of my new car just under 40 years ago. I was a senior in high school and paid cash, that I earned delivering the news paper and cutting lawn. $3735.00 out the door!

Andreas,thanks-I checked out parts place and it says the speedo end is a clip-type arrangement-is this true-if so,out goes my plan. Bruce,the unit looks like it has been there forever-if I recall there is a button built into the end of the turn signal lever-I am guessing at this time it is OEM--how difficult is it to gain access to the rear of the speedo?? Your original owner sig caught my eye the first time,and every time-I was also cutting lawns,delivering papers,etc right after that time but never turned it into a shiny new first gen-thats fantastic!! Lastly,Kenny guys like you, Jared,and others DO have exceptionally good taste in autos( altho we may be a bit biased in providing that opinion,of course)-it ensures a new generation of stewardship over these fine machines that have survived so long- I bought mine when she was 36-how would that have even been possible without all the previous owners acting as protective guardians-sort of like 'passing the torch'-in this case a very large and heavy one!!

Ok,end of rambling-if anyone can shed some lite on pulling that cable it would be helpful thanks Brian

Yes, it is a clip on the speedo and threaded on the tranny

Again, I think the bast way to get to the speedo is to drop the steering column...