Malibu Running Good, Track Rental,3/27

Andy's Auto

Headed out Sunday morning for a Need2Speed.com track rental. Got there early and the fun started within 30 seconds of tech inspection.

Figured out a few things about Mr Bu that were lost last year.

First pass. 10.544@130.05. Right where it runs on a all engine pass. Lost something last year that took 30 passes to figure out. Most of the cars issue was a bum fuel pressure gauge and suspension tuning.

Second pass. Bumped the timing three degrees and let her eat to 7200 rpm shift points. Was shifting her at 6800.Faster yet. 10.32@132.75

Third was a bunout contest. Still went 11.44@131.90

Went 19 passes and by the end the trans was hot and not feeling well. So I cooled her off for an hour or so and opened the valve on that pretty blue bottle.

The car lauched hard, pulling the fronts way up. It went 1.37 60 foot with all other passes in the 1.50 range.Went straight as an arrow. But alas, no third gear. I reached forward and killed the spray but ran the 7400 rpm rev limiter from the 1000 foot mark on.

She went 10.284@132.76. but here is the best part. She went 119.06 in the 1/8th. All the engine only passes were in the 104-105 range.

Last runs in early Feb on spray were 114 in the 1/8th. Best pass on NOS that day was 9.89@140.31. Four runs within a 1/10th and .5 MPH.

Plans for this Saturday? Weld in my new ARB. Swap out the tranny for my bullit trans. Just hope the convertor is ok. Spent some good green on that 5500 stall. But it made all the difference in the world.

Registered the car for Super Chevy Sunday April 7th and 8th.

Vids will be up by the weekend.

Andy

Vids are coming, but let me first say that the almost useable vids were taken by my nephew Freddy. He was clearly all jacked up on Mountain Dew. laugh

2011rackrental32711004.jpg

Or he suffers from Parkinsons, ADD, or just daydreaming when it counts. Very dissapointed the best runs were not recorded.

This is one of two not good but useable Vids Fredman got.

th_2011rackrental32711033.jpg

And the best run he got was a spinner.

th_2011rackrental32711032.jpg

I have a couple more that I just need time to load up. But unfortuneately these seem to be the best. And here is food for thought. When Fred turns 16, I pull the drivetrain on Bu and it is all Freds. Bu was his moms car before she wak killed.

Looking good big guy. Lucky you, my trailer is still covered in snow...

Justin, not a bad thing. Trust me. We are 91 right now with 100% humidity. Got Barret Jackson this weekend and Super Chevy Show. But too hot to do much. I'll take a pound or two of that snow.

Looking to sell the SS454 truck and the SS Elky at the Chevy show this weekend. Need to drum up some cash to copy something I saw at the rental I want to build into the Malibu.

A guy named Rich took a 90 IROC and built an engine out of an untouched except the cam 454HO crate engine. Put a single 106MM PT BB turbo with no intercooler and a blow through Dominator. Still working on his NHRA license so only hit a few 1000 foot passes. All three runs were in the high 8s at over 165 MPH. Elegant in its simplicity. Full blown street car built around the X275 rulebook.