questionabout painting frameand undercarriage stuf

V8Freak

hey guys, well my frame and control arms and bumper brackets etc. are all out getting sand blasted and painted. Im just wondering what kind of black GM used on there cars in that era. I told him to do everything flat black but im thinking it was originally semi gloss? just wondering what you guys did with your stuff

My homie used just black engine paint on his 57 Belaire. The had it up on th elift and everything looked like it came straight out the factory. I was originally thinking powder coating but after comparing prices, I'm gonna just go with the engine paint.

Nice Screen name wink

I beleive the factory finish would have been Semi gloss or satin. Satin or semi will be easier to keep clean than flat black.

From the factory everything was a semi gloss/semi flat black...depending on which you want to call it.

Remember, all these under carriage parts were made by different distributors, they were probably told to "paint it black". It's a known fact that gloss takes longer to dry and flat get's marked up easily so they all used semi gloss paints...the shades are all different depending on the day and who mixed the paint that day so in my opinion there is no wrong "shade". In fact on restorations that I do I typically use more than one brand of semi black paint so that there is some differences between the parts. Just remember to paint similar parts with the same black.