GM ZZ4 Crate Motor question ...

Mike Brichta

Most of the GM Performance Small Block Crate engines come with an "Accessory Drive Kit" (PN 12497698) which costs around $800. However, the AC Compressor and Alternator are on the opposite sides of our current engines. In addition I am guessing that the AC hoses, Power Steering Hoses and Alternator wiring would have to be redone or custom to use the serpentine belt setup. Am I missing something? I am considering using a ZZ4 350 in my 70 Monte (PN 19201330).

GM says you have to purchase the engine with the kit included. I guess they want you to just throw it away?

My questions are:

- Are these motors meant for "older" Small Block applications?

- Has anyone dealt with this issue on their car?

Thanks!!

Mike

There is a guy I run into around here with a 71 that has the zz4 in it, seemed like one heck of a buy really, but I didnt ask much about the installation. He seemed extremely happy with it, and it looks like a clean install. I have always wondered about the "kit" for my own future reference. Looking forward to any answers

I don't have my 2011 GM Performance Parts catalog in front of me, but I'm 99% positive you do not have to buy the kit. That is the fully dressed "Deluxe" version of the ZZ4 that you are being referred to. The crate engines come in all stages of builds: Base (just short block), Long Block, entire engine or the Deluxe which includes carb, wires, and such.

I would download the entire catalog and check it out.

A free download of a PDF version of the catalog is available at gmperformanceparts.com.

Check out the zz383 - that's the small block I'd get!

My Dad installed a ZZ4 in his 75 Vette in 1997. It has been a great engine for him. It performs well when he races it and it works well driving in town or on road trips. My dad got the long block and purchased the other goodies seperately (carb, alternator, etc)

I have a ZZ4 350 in my 70 Monte. It was already in the car when I bought it a few years ago, so I didn't deal with the installation of it. Everything works fine, although I don't have A/C or anything running on it either. Mine has the fast burn heads so it's rated at 385HP. I haven't been seeing in the catalogs as much now, but it definitely wants to scoot even with our big cars, and that's just with a Holley Street Avenger 670 cfm carb.

• 1 year later...