Let's Talk Radiators...

James G.

Well, it appears that my radiator is on it's last legs. I was wondering why my coolant level went down about 5-6" the other day, when I was pretty sure the car wasn't using up antifreeze, so I topped the tank off and took a look after running it for a short distance. It appears about 6" down on the radiator there is a crack below the fill hole and the fluid drains down until it gets past the cracked part of the radiator and then stops using antifreeze. So, should I take it to the local radiator shop and see if they can fix it, or should I just got for broke and buy a new radiator?

I run about 200 temp. once the car's warmed up, and was wondering if going with a high performance radiator would help make the car run a little cooler, or maybe fix this one for now and go with a lower temp. thermostat, like maybe a 180 or 165 unit and see how that works? Let me know what you guys think, and what you have done in the past to your radiator set up. Thanks a bunch!

-James

Seams are easy to fix, but a crack in the middle of nowhere is not. By the time you have a radiator shop take the thing apart and clean it then reassemble it, you have nearly the same cost invested as a replacement.

Really I think new will make you sleep better at night. Whether you choose to go with copper or aluminum, it's going to be better than what you have now.

Go with new. I believe in overkill so think about what your performance dreams are for down the road and buy that radiator now. That way you buy one that will take you through your whole performance transition. Sure it will be pricey, but you got pay right in order to play right. If you have a clutch fan I'd replace it(me I'm partial to electric fans), and add a new 180 degree thermostat. Other than that backflush your whole cooling system before you add the new radiator and thermostat. Better to start fresh and clean with your new investment.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate the suggestions. I am going to buy a new radiator next week. I figured it would be pointless to try and fix it anyway, as it is not exactly in perfect condition, lol. I will let you know what I decide to go with for a brand and model. I am going to replace the thermostat, and go with a 180 degree one, too. Do you guys have a type of radiator you prefer with your big blocks like mine to keep 'em cool?

-James

i second the Champion radiator...I jus got one for my monte and the fit was perfect...havent got it on the road yet but it will idle for ever at 185....so ..so far so good!!!!

I am getting ready to install a Aluminum radiator into my 72 402 CI next week. I almost pulled the trigger on a Champion 2 core radiator but at the last minute opted for a Alumatec 2 core instead. While the cost difference was like double the Champion, it closely replicates what I am removing and is a direct replacement (so they say)! Guess I will find out next week and hope it does the job in reducing my engine temp. Also it is made in the USA.

Anyway, hope yours does the trick and here is a shot of mine when I received it.

getthumb-1.jpg

All have a GREAT day.......

Doug

They are pricey, but BeCool is tough to beat in all kinds of heat(hey I made a rhyme). With my Flex-a-lite dual fans I've never came close to 200 degrees even in 95 degree temps with sickening humidity.