Tall Valve Covers

680HPStroker

I know this question has been asked before(even once by me I think), but I'm looking for a company if there is such and animal that makes a set of chrome tall BB valve covers that will clear a factory 11" brake booster? I thought I'd heard of on that would work from a marine company that is flater on the outside, but have lost the info. Thank you. I'm not looking to change my brake setup. If I can't find what I'm looking for I'll just stay the way I am.

I found what I need. They are marine BB Chevy valve covers. A couple companies out on the waest coast make them. They have angled sides on the outside to clear marine exhaust manifolds. I had a guy give me some dimentions and they will clear a factory 11" brake booster. I'm getting them in the polished version with no holes drilled(up charge)and have a local machine shop drill my PVC and breather holes. I'll locate them exactly where my GM Performance valve cover holes are now so there will be no need to re-route anything. I won't go for a third hole for an oil fill cap. If I need to add oil I'll do it through the breather hole. After they are drilled I'm thinking of having then engraved with a bow tie and my engine size which is 489 and then have them chromed. That way I'll never have to listen to anyone say "that ain't nothing, but a crate motor"(never seen a crate motor from GM with AFR heads). It cracks me up when I hear it, but it get's old and I stopped correcting folks a long time ago.

Cool deal Greg!! I was going to start looking on the net as I have seen pictures of those types of covers with the angled corners.

Too funny about your engine!!! If they only knew! shifter

Take care,

David

Greg they clear both aluminum and steel roller rockers and most stud gridles....since they don't have baffling I used the Moroso baffled breather kits on each cover...FWIW

I used the Moroso baffled breather kits on each cover...FWIW

I second that. Those Moroso baffled breather grommets are nice!! - Dave

Thanks for the info, but I'll never run a street car without a PCV valve. Experience has taught me that. PCV on one cover and a breather one the other equals a happy crankcase/oiling system.

Thanks for the info, but I'll never run a street car without a PCV valve. Experience has taught me that. PCV on one cover and a breather one the other equals a happy crankcase/oiling system.

Greg, I think you misunderstood. Moroso makes baffled grommets for the breathers AND the PCV valve. The point here is they are grommets that are baffled for both the breather and PCV for valve covers with no built in baffles to the covers. - Dave

Got ya Dave as I did misunderstand. Unless those baffled grommets will clear stud girdles I wouldn't be able to use them. I have no baffles now and don't have any issues. Baffles are nice insurance though.

Well Greg, looks like there is some other P/N's as well but,... if you have stud girdles... they want work either. One solution,... get rid of those stud girdles grin . Guess your stuck with regular grommets. - Dave

The whole point of the tall valve covers is to ad stud girdles to not only strengthen the valve train, but cut way down on adjusting valves. I only do it once, or twice a year, but it really sucks. I'd like to be able to go two years at least without going through that crap. Glad I waited just a bit longer. I found a set of tall, polished, swept, marine valve covers from a place called Hardine Marine. They have 3 -16AN holes(size I already have) holes. Two for breathers and one for and oil file cap. I just ordered then. The pt# is 620-44050. I cant wait to get these puppies. They are immediately going on. Engraving and chroming can come later.

On the UPS truck out for delivery today to me. I can't wait. They will be on no latter than Friday night and will be ready for a local hang out Saturday night cruise-inn that averages at least 200 cars. There is a guy who takes relly nice pictures there. I think I might have to get some updated pics for the old girl.

Got my valve covers. They look pretty good, but as you would know it the packing material is newspaper written in, you guessed it Chinese. That's where these came from. The oil cap has a little ding in it, but I think I can work that out. I do have a knunundrum in that they sent me eight of these polished, tall, bolt on breathers, that you find on marine engines and I didn't order a one of them and wasn't charged either. I guess tomarrow I'll have to contact them to let them know and if they wan't them back they are going to have to pay for the shipping. I checked their website and they sell these things for $60.00 a piece and I have eight of them. That's $480.00 and I bet they never opened the box to see what was inside when they got it from their supplier in China. I wonder if they will even want them back. Probably cost them less than $40.00 for all of them, but we will see. If they don't want them I sell them.

The company offered me a complete stainless valve cover fastener set for letting them know that I have $480.00 of product I never paid for and they are sending me a UPS return slip to mail the breathers back to them. The guy kept thanking me. He stated he now knows his supplier is feeding him bull about having his own machine shop in CA where these covers are supposedly made and he has a problem with his shipping department not verifing what they are shipping out.

It's always good to do "the right thing". I am a firm believer in "what goes around, comes around". I hope you enjoy your valve covers!

Good news and bad news about my covers. The good news is they clear my brake booster by about 1/2", but the bad news is I'll need to get new grommets as I thought the holes were the same size as my old covers, but turns out they are larger. So I'll need to take the covers with me to NAPA and size them up. One for the breather and on for the PCV valve. Once everything is fitted I'll need to give these things a good polish if I'm not going to chrome them right away. Any ideas on how to delay the tarnish factor when dealing with polished aluminum? I always use Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. I'll need to invest in a large Power ball to make the polish job go faster.

I usually just put a coat of wax on after I polish...seems to work pretty well. I've never had any luck with trying to clear-coat polished surfaces if that's what you're thinking.

I like the Mothers polish, but lately I've been using the Turtle wax "all metal & billet polish" and I think I like it better. If you're working with aluminum, they work about the same, but I've found that the turtle wax stuff works better on chrome and stainless than Mothers does. smile I don't have to keep Mothers and Semichrome around any more... I prefer to keep just one bottle on the shelf that does everything.

I've never been a fan of Turtle wax products, but this stuff works.

TUR-T-396.jpg

Thanks wallaby I'll give that stuff a try and Archie I'll be sure to take some new pictures after I get these covers installed and post some updated pics here on the club site. To all who are attending the Eastern Meet this weekened have a great time and I wish I was there, but back surgery and a sick family member prevents me from attending. Hopefully next year and hopefully at least as close as this years meet.

No luck at Napa. Autozone and Advance were worthless. At least Napa tried. Had to order from Jeg's. Be here Tuesday. I don't feel like hooking the old covers back up so no cruising for me this weekend. No big deal as the potential for rain is in the forecast for all weekend. I'll try and sneak in a two wheel ride instead.