4 on the floor conversion

brideon1337

Two different ways to go here...Which do you have Benchseat or buckets and console..???

The list can get lengthy, let us know what you have to start with and we can give you a list combined as some of us members just did swaps including myself as I just finished and with me doing all the work to save labor costs it was still.$2000

Darren.

Benchseat. And just got the car so I haven't had much time to collect anything yet. So starting fresh, making a list and gonna start looking for parts. I'll be helping a buddy of mine out with the swap as he's done it on his chevelle. What better place to get a correct parts list than here haha.

Leo, who is a member here (http://koniksklassiks.com/), should have everything you need in a one stop shop.

You can also buy a kit from http://www.keislerauto.com/

These have the complete setup as well.

You can go from an auto to any stick transmission you want, just depends on if you want to modify the tunnel (5 or 6 speed tranny) or just cut the hole and weld in a 4 speed tunnel like from the factory. Things to think about. New dash to get rid of the pointer for the old auto, do you want the factory look, so maybe a new steering column. If you do not have a tilt column recommend you get one if your going to replace the column. Are you gonna change out to buckets?

If you buy a stick from a chevelle, keep in mind there are some pieces that are different, so you STILL have to get them.

But here at the FGMCC site, we (well at least me anyways) always love a good, I cut up a chevelle to make my Monte cool, stories.. :-)

Kevin

id love to leave the bench. i did forgot to add to my previous post i already have a steering column i got from Craigslist because i knew i was going to do the swap. one stop shop stuff would deff be convenient. hunting down parts is a nightmare, so minus that easy peasy.

I was thinking 5/6 speed would be cool for the extra gears for the highway but keeping somewhat stock appearance would be nice since my car has all matching #'s. its just no fun to drive an auto.

Not to Hi Jack the thread, but with the TKO 500, did you have to cut the center hump more than just the hole for the shifter??

I want to go to a 5 or 6 speed but DO NOT want to cut up my floorboards.. The RS-4/5/600 is suppose to be a new non cut your stuff up install. But wanted to know, as I have a TKO-500 in the area for sale, and he wants little to nothing for it, but needs to be rebuilt.

Not to Hi Jack the thread, but with the TKO 500, did you have to cut the center hump more than just the hole for the shifter??

I want to go to a 5 or 6 speed but DO NOT want to cut up my floorboards.. The RS-4/5/600 is suppose to be a new non cut your stuff up install. But wanted to know, as I have a TKO-500 in the area for sale, and he wants little to nothing for it, but needs to be rebuilt.

No cutting for the 500

Cutting required for 600

That RS trans is hard if not impossible to get.

I've ordered the RS500 and it's supposed to arrive in a few weeks. I'll document my conversion and let you guys know how it works out.

That is awesome if you would do that.. are you converting to a 5 speed from an auto, or are doing a 4 speed to 5 speed?

I am concerned with the flywheel bearing, mating to the bellhousing, clutch fork alignment (did you go with the hydrolic) and fitment under the floorboard..

I have an older TKO (before they called them -500 or -600) and only had to cut the hole for the shifter. The tranny mount was sitting lower and I had to fab an adapter. Also, I had to grind some parts off the tranny casing to make it fit...

It appears that some people (especially with Chevelles) had to do some more major surgery:

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/71tunnel.html

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/web_pages/pell/Tremec/TremecInstallation.html

Well if funds are no problem, I would go with the Keisler setup from auto to 5 speed using an RS-600/500 depending on your torque level..

It is surely a one stop shop.. The sell a kit for the whole upgrade, but I have never had the nerve to call..

If mulla is short, probably would go with Leo for the clutch portions, and then a 4 speed till you can swing the other tranny.. But as expensive a Muncie and Super T-10 are, a 5 speed is not much more I don't think..

Real world, 68 Chevelle last year.

Read into the mistakes made.

M21 Trans, done with "A" Body shifter $1000

Hurst shifter and install kit that actually worked. $500

621 repop bell $160

Ausleys 4 speed conversion kit. $300

Console top plate, shifter booty and retainer $125

Used 14" Flywheel $50

Luke clutch assembly $135

Tranny mount $6

Gear lube (redline) $56

End of a freindship over a shifter he swore would work pricele$$

But my 68 is a HOOT to drive. I would have went 5 speed, but then I could have bought a new Camaro as well.

I live for tempermental Holleys, brakes that let me decide when I stop, actual road feel out of a Saginaw gear box.

If I wanted modern convenience and comfort, I will drive my wifes 09 Impala SS.

Andy

I am converting from a console automatic. I ordered it all, pedals, flywheel, bell housing, hydraulic clutch, even the little 5 speed tag for the console. I ordered the 4 speed console plate so it should look pretty stock. We'll see how it all fits. smile