Is this amount of axle play normal?

MGD72Monte

The diff is a 2.73 non-locking, as per the video with a dial indicator set up I note about 13/1000" of up/down play on the driver's side. The pax side has about 8/1000".

Is this normal? acceptable? If not, what is the fix?

I'd say there should be some amount of play..what amount? That's a good question.. depending on temperature and wear. You could have a couple of thousands difference in reading, although 13/1000" seems a bit much. What's your concern? I know in my case those freaking OEM axles fatigued awful quickly. Before you know it the seals start leaking, and unless you buy offset bearings you haven't much choice other than new axles. Watch your bearing brands as well..for instance Bower/BCA is not what it used to be. whistle Perhaps someone else will chime-in.. I know there is a couple of rear-end gurus here.

Yeah, I'm hoping one of these gurus will see this post. I have the rear end out as part of a refurb, adding sway bar, changing bushings, LCA, etc... My concern is that I had a warped rim at the back on the driver's side causing a bad vibration then I replaced the rims but am wondering if this could have caused some damage as there still seems to be some vibration at certain speeds. The seals are fine but since I have the rear end out if there is not supposed to be any play, this is probably the time to do something about it.

Thanks for the input

I did not think to check and I've never done that on a rear axle so I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly but I reset up the dial indicator essentially as per my original video, found the lowest point around the hub to zero the reading (ignoring a couple of clear dents) and slowly turned the hub by hand looking at the reading and noting a max of about 11/1000" on the driver's side, did not check pax yet. Is that the correct way to do it and if so, is that a bad reading?

Thanks for your help

Why don't you pull the axles.. probably a good time to check any other ailments in thew rear end. Chances are the axles are in bad shape & or bearings, good to replace bearings, seals, definitely some gear oil,,who knows the backlash on the pinion? You have the rear-end out already,, you're probably doing w/cyl and shoes.. why not at least install new axle seals, and that way you'll be certain with the axle play..JMHO Can't remember how many times "I" have said these bearings feel like they're dragging a little. Bah! They'll go another round, to find out a huge wet spot on the inboard side of the tire..talk about trowing some money in the toilet. lol

I'm thinking about it, I don't know enough about the process and specs so I'm probably going to order a book. I'm looking at:

High Performance Differentials Axles and Drivelines <link>

If anyone has previous experience with this or other books to recommend on the topic, I would appreciate.

Rear ends are pretty simple just pull the cover off take out the diff pin bolt remove pin push the axles in with the pin out and remove the c clips on the ends of the axles in the diff then slide the axles out and inspect every thing