Rear end ???

MonteNH

I am installing a 454 in my 72 Monte. I was told I should up grade the Rear End and Tranny.

My rear end is a 10 bolt non posi.

Can this rear end be made into a posi by buying a posi unit and new gears ?

I dont plan on ever racing it just a fun street crusing car.

I want to eventually add a muncie 4 spd down the road also.

Thanks in advance, Phil

Hey Phil, Sam is right that 10 bolt should be ok, it depends on what coin you are looking at to put that set up in? as it might be better to run a series 3 gearset in a 12 bolt...I have a 454 and a M-21 and a 331 12bolt rear and all is good especially on the Highway driving plus thats what is on the build sheet too..If you think you are going to want to have some get up and go more often that what you thought at first it doesnt hurt to go 12 bolt and a swaybar with boxed control arms that way you can let the grrrrrrrr out....

Darren.

Ok , so I can just buy a posi unit and some gears and turn this rear end into a posi rear end ? Sorry for the questions just unsure which way to go.

I'd rather not have to buy a whole new 12 bolt and have that installed. Its easier to drop the car off somehwere and pick it up all done rather then drive around looking at rear ends I have no clue about only to find out I bought the wrong part.

Plus you do not always know the exact condition of buying a used one. It is 1100.00 to have a Posi carrier, ring and pinion gear and all new bearings/seals installed in my single leg 12 bolt unit. I am thinking it over myself. Then you need to box the arms I believe.

I run an Auburn posi unit with 3.73 gear in my 10 bolt. I have a Big Block 454 that is bolted up to an turbo 350. No boxed control arms. I have never pay'd any attention to my gas mileage. But as long if I dont abuse it it seems pretty decent. But when I do get on it. It likes to go wicked sideways. smile

That's me. I ordered the parts and had my mechanic install them.

I had it all changed and it was around $1100.00.

Was that the total price for the parts and the labor? I have ordered my 200-4R and am currently shopping for the best and most cost effective way to upgrade my 10 bolt to a 3.73 setup so all this is very interesting to me.