Need advice regarding rearend

cbolt

I am in the process of installing a 2004r in my car. It currently has the original 2.73 non-locking rear and I know I am going to make the swap to the 3.73's, maybe even an Eaton locking setup and new axles if I can afford it. What is everyones opinion on which route I should take, either swap the gears in the current 10 bolt or upgrade to a 12 bolt. Now before everyone says "12 BOLT!" (I know it's better than the 10 bolt) keep in mind that money is a factor as well as availability of an acceptable donor 12 bolt (I can't find a reasonably priced one anywhere). The car has right at 300hp and I have no plans to race it, simply improve my mph for trips and drive-ability so strength isn't a major issue. Also, will the 3.73's even fit? Thanks in advance.

So, how does one tell the difference between the 8.2 and the 8.5? I would like to get all my parts ordered unless I have to physically take it apart to measure in which case I won't be able to drive it until the project is done.

Having the same problem as you cbolt. Can't tell which rear I have. Mine doesn't have the 'lugs' like the 8.5 but also doen't have the cover like the 8.2 in the photo.

Can't manage to get a pictiue of mine, or any other photo, to load on the forum either....

Having the same problem as you cbolt. Can't tell which rear I have. Mine doesn't have the 'lugs' like the 8.5 but also doen't have the cover like the 8.2 in the photo.

Can't manage to get a pictiue of mine, or any other photo, to load on the forum either....

maybe 8.2

82rear.jpg