Recomendations for a 12 bolt posi carrier.

Mom's Car

The Moser unit is a great piece. Why aren't you going to rebuild your stock unit? That is the reason the Eaton design you have is desired over the Auburn. Both work well but the Auburn's cannot be rebuilt. BTW if your posi is a 3 series ( I couldn't find your combo)and you are going to upgrade to the Moser, shoot me a PM. I am interested. Good luck on your choice. David

The Moser unit is a great piece. Why aren't you going to rebuild your stock unit? That is the reason the Eaton design you have is desired over the Auburn. Both work well but the Auburn's cannot be rebuilt. BTW if your posi is a 3 series ( I couldn't find your combo)and you are going to upgrade to the Moser, shoot me a PM. I am interested. Good luck on your choice. David

I have not ruled out rebuilding what I have, just looking at options as I have been out of the game for a looooooooooooong time. Thanks.......Greg

Your posi should be the Eaton like mentioned--very solid units, and you can upgrade them with stiffer springs if wanted too. I think they are generally good until you start drag racing with 600-700 hp or so, then the clutches start giving in. On the street it may last 50 years!

If I were doing it all over again though, I would get the tru-trac like David mentioned. They are really slick. No chatter, just smooth and strong axle lockups.

Your posi should be the Eaton like mentioned--very solid units, and you can upgrade them with stiffer springs if wanted too. I think they are generally good until you start drag racing with 600-700 hp or so, then the clutches start giving in. On the street it may last 50 years!

If I were doing it all over again though, I would get the tru-trac like David mentioned. They are really slick. No chatter, just smooth and strong axle lockups.

The rear was in the car when I got it. Other than the claim of Strange 3.73 gears, I really have no idea what is in there. I guess I will soon enough. Although my car is street driven 99% of the time, my rebuild puts me at 620 some horsepower and I want to be safe.

I think I would agree with Dave also Greg, the Trutrac is a nice compromise between the traditional Eaton and a full locker. Since you drive it on the street most of the time that rules out a spool which would be the strongest. You might think about upgrading the axles while you're at it if they haven't been already....

I think I would agree with Dave also Greg, the Trutrac is a nice compromise between the traditional Eaton and a full locker. Since you drive it on the street most of the time that rules out a spool which would be the strongest. You might think about upgrading the axles while you're at it if they haven't been already....

We are on the same page with the axle thought. I am assuming you have c clip eliminators. If so, do you have a problem with axle seals leaking? I hear they are notorious for that. Thanks for the feedback Davey.

Originally Posted By: CrazyDavey

We are on the same page with the axle thought. I am assuming you have c clip eliminators. If so, do you have a problem with axle seals leaking? I hear they are notorious for that. Thanks for the feedback Davey.

never had a leak Greg, I'm using the Ferd style ends....an yes, C-clip elimns will save a quarter panel if an axle breaks...

Originally Posted By: Mom's Car
Originally Posted By: CrazyDavey

never had a leak Greg, I'm using the Ferd style ends....an yes, C-clip elimns will save a quarter panel if an axle breaks...

As usual, you are a wealth of knowledge........thanks

Davey is right on about the axle upgrade. I went with the 33 spline Ford bolt in style from moser. Way over kill for the power I'm making now but good insurance. Iv'e seen first hand axle failure be it c-clip or breakage and the end result ain't pretty!

David

Davey is right on about the axle upgrade. I went with the 33 spline Ford bolt in style from moser. Way over kill for the power I'm making now but good insurance. Iv'e seen first hand axle failure be it c-clip or breakage and the end result ain't pretty!

David

I think the plan now is to get the entire rear from moser with the trutrac, 33 spline axles, etc thanks for the input guys......Greg

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the Tru-Track, but if you want to still have a 12-bolt there is company out there called Tom's Axles that sells a custom Eaton carrier where they shim it and use no springs at all. It's the unit I have and I'm very happy with it. For anything over 400HP custom 33 spline forged alloy axles are a must. The 30 spline stockers are not up to the task for serious HP. Don't forget to get a forged 4340 pinion yoke(same goes for the slip yoke on the tranny). Another option is to convert to bolt in axles with weld in bearing housing ends(C-clips gone for good).

• 1 year later...

I am looking through this post because I just bought a Truetrac but with the 30 spline. Now I am returning it for the 33 spline unit here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-914a576

My question is does anyone know the part number for the 33 spline axles that will work with the Truetrac into a stock 12 bolt housing?

Thanks!