another header question....yet again.

stevns71monte

ever since ive installed the headers the bolts always come loose ive gone throught two paper gaskets already because the bolt will decide to loosen at the worse possible place where i am stuck with no tools. today i went to autozone and bought aluminum gaskets but how do you guys get your bolts to stay?

Install the new gaskets, tighten the bolts as tight as you can get them. After a week, retighten them. You are using the header bolts provided with the headers? Maybe try some locktight on the bolt threads.

Get these gaskets (double check your application) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-1444/ and tighten good when you put them on then drive it a couple times and retighten and you should be good to go smile I use the FelPro ones on all headers. They have a steel core with a fiber gasket material around them.

Just to add a bit to the others excellent advice. Usually it's not so much that the bolts are coming loose --it's that the gaskets are compressing as they go through a few hot/cold cycles. That is why you check them after running the car for a few miles. If the gaskets you bought don't work ( they should ) try a set of Percy's. They are pricey but re-usable ( yours are probably re-usable also ). David

Although this was a while back, it will likely still work. I used to use the manifold gaskets. You can double them up as well, and then the same as others have said tighten them up after a few heat cycles. When I had an 84 Z28 I swapped in a mild 350 with shorty headers and mandrel bent 3" single exhaust (not the most room for duels) and I continually blew out the header/collector gaskets. This solved the header gasket problem, but the collector always blew out as the back pressure must have been to much. Worth a try as most of us end up with piles of these manifold gaskets anyway, lol.