google chrome

Capri's 71 SS

OK, so my hard drive died last week..Thank you to Fred who was a huge help smile

Anyhow, after reinstalling everything on the new drive, I decided to switch to google chrome since everyone likes it so much.

My question is - when I open certain links it takes me to IE rather than google chrome.....how can I stop this? Do I have to delete IE? What if I decide I want it back?

2ndly, google chrome seems to not have all the tools bars that IE has - like printing a page, & other stuff. Also how do I get it to ask me if I want to save passwords? I am really missing that feature a bunch.

First, no, you can not remove, uninstall\delete IE in any way.

At best you can roll it back a version or two to either 6 or 5 using Add\remove programs in control panel.

Microsoft has built it into Windows in such away it can`t not be totally removed and attempting to do so can break the operating system.

You should have been given the option when installing Chrome to make it your default Browser. Did you do that?

Chrome is a very bare bones browser, pretty fast too. One of the reasons many like it.

But that come`s with a price = some features normally found in other browsers are left out.

I only played with it for a very short time on a spare PC. Yes, it was fast, but as mentioned, lacking in some features I need and use.

I did not like their EULA = End User Lic. agreement. I`m probably one of the few that ever read EULA`s. blush

Chrome, Google are a bit to nosy for my taste. no

I dumped Chrome after a very brief try out. Still need Google for much of my Tech info.

The people HERE can provide far more help then I can regarding the workings and getting it set up to your liking.

Use Firefox here as well. Heavily tweaked.

My situation with IE is that I turn off automatic Windows updates as well.

I check manually for them the second Tuesday of every month. < Their scheduled monthly release if any are developed. I need IE to do this.

The only catch to this is that once in a while a critical flaw is found and a patch\update is released out of cycle.

I agree with dumping Norton.

After doing so and going with a new AV you may even notice your PC being a bit faster.

MSE and Avast are both highly thought of and rated well.

MSE is free and Avast has a free version.

I prefer Avast but I`m a tinkerer. If you want an install and forget program then go with MSE.

My suggestion is to download your choice. Then go to Add\remove and uninstall Norton followed by following the directions and running the utility on this page.

Restart your PC and install the new AV.

Am curious of the trouble(s) you are having with Norton and FF.

Have not read of any anywhere.

Google Chrome is much faster and more secure. I agree it is lacking in some of the utilities we have become accustomed to with IE. If you make GC your default browser you can still use IE. I prefer AVG for antivirus.

In the beginning Chrome was more secure. But it has since been exploited. And, as it becomes more popular it develops as even a bigger bulls-eye for the bad guys.

Truth be told. Most Crackers use Opera. Really unsure why and do`t ask me how I know. no

AVG may have corrected some issues it was having. Do`t know.

Have not used it in years.

The problem had gotten so bad with an early version 10 release of AVG that several of the Tech sites I frequent(ed) quit suggesting\endorsing it.

Of course as all things computer related go, your mileage may vary. Use a reputable program and be a safe surfer.

ok - I am so frustrated!

I went thru the hoops and uninstalled Norton then went thru more hoops & downloads for MSE and then more hoops to install Firefox.

So I go to a website to download a form and I get a stupid pop up that only allows me to download this pdf form to word pad which gives me garbled crap & not my form. It will not open it in a pdf or excel or word.

I hate this stuff.

I think I may be going back to the hoops to uninstall firefox and use IE.

Not sure what you expect from going to a MAC. Other then spending pretty big bucks.

You will have a whole new learning curve to go through.

Many of the programs you are now used to will not work. You will need to find replacements. Then learn how to use them.

They get viruses too. Just like anything, the more popular they become the more the bad guy`s go after them.

A new MAC exploit was just found in the wild a few days ago.

http://www.macworld.com/article/159595/2011/05/macdefender_trojan_horse.html

Other MAC related news.

http://www.securemac.com/

All systems can be cracked. As usage by the public grows the rewards for finding and exploiting them increases for the badguys.

Please do not be lulled into a false sense of security\immunity that many, falsely, are.