What gears were stock for the Montes

Toppless72

350 2 barrel 10 bolt rear, 3 speed manual got 3.08

350 2 barrel 10 bolt rear, powerglide & turbo 350 2.73 standard 3.36 optional

350 4 barrel and up, 12 bolt rear 2.73 std 3.31 optional

454 turbo400 3.31 std

according to the AMA Data.

The page we have on decoding the rears includes chevelle data and chevelles had "more & different" gear ratios available. Chevelles could get a 4.10 in the 12 bolt, Monte's could not.

My 70 SS454 car was an orig 80K mile car with nothing changed other than chrome valve covers. My car had a 2:56 one legger 12 bolt originally which does not follow what is listed above. The build sheet I believe also also lists it . . . . I will check in a bit. Maybe because it was a early build 70 (1 wk December '69) could explain the discrepancy. Who knows

Dan

My 70 SS454 car was an orig 80K mile car with nothing changed other than chrome valve covers. My car had a 2:56 one legger 12 bolt originally which does not follow what is listed above. The build sheet I believe also also lists it . . . . I will check in a bit. Maybe because it was a early build 70 (1 wk December '69) could explain the discrepancy. Who knows

Dan

Same here on my 1970 Monte I had back in the day. Although it somehow became a 3.73 posi. It was on the build sheet that way.

The list I posted was for the 1972 Monte, I based it on the original posters screen name. The AMA sheets list each years engine, trans and rear specs, for what was standard and optional. As an example, they show the M-20 4-speed for 1970 & 71 but not for 1972.