10 bolt posi did I make a mistake

dave m

Hi all I just bought a 10 bolt posi with 3:08 gears ot of a running 68 chevelle. it was a sbc with an auto trans. the posi does work and I am hoping to clean it up nice coat of paint . change fluid and bolt it in. I just wanted a posi for the once and a while burn out. no racing time at all. I am hoping to be able to swith over all my new rear brake parts . I got it drum to drum for 300 and it is also a local pick up no shipping. should I do more while it's out or do I already have too much in it. I have been looking for a year or so and this was a great find price wise for what I have been seeing

thanks in advance dave

Nice find!!! I would like to get a posi for mine it's a 10 bolt I am sure 8.5 so either rebuild my pumpkin or try to find a 12 bolt for a decent price if/when I can.

Good luck with the install.

Scott

Hi it is a stock 10 bolt open. if need be I should be able to get a 2 size u joint . Or are you thinking length is diffrent??? do you know if the axles are bolt in on a 10 bolt posi, I figure I should do the axle seals also thasnks

Hi I would have to check never really looked, it is the one part on the car that was not touched i think when I bought the brake shoe they listed 2 sizes and I bleieve these are the smaller. that part is not to important at this point I work at autozone and get an employee discount. If I have to buy new drums they are fairly expensive. thanks

I did the same swap a few yrs ago Dave and if yours is all stock original (and don't know about the BOP rear)it should be a direct bolt in and you can use all your hardware .I had no issues with the driveshaft fit. I used a complete rear from a 72 El Camino posi with 308s

It also should have the "C" clips for the axles.

Just a tip when you pull the axles to replace the seals ,try not to rotate the assembly,the small side gears or the thrush washers where the axles go thru may fall out and sometimes they are a B -- to get back in.Check your axles where the bearing rides for a groove or damange too.

You may want to consider replacing the pinion seal ,I would match mark the yoke to the housing ect before you remove it.

Terry

thanks I just got pics from the seller of the inside, and the gears look great and the gear oil even looked clean if you can tell from a pic. he is saving the gear oil for me to run a magnet through. I may just clean it up and bolt it in. I getting a feeling this may have been redone and not run hard since we do know it was only moved from spot to spot for the last five years not road driven I,ll cross my finger until I pick it up next week thanks for the tips I havent had a rear apart in 30 years. same old story sell everything buy a house raise a family. then get back to my first love cars althought it took 10 years to get a monte

As long as you stick to street tires a BOP gear will do just fine. Just resist the urge to tranny drop it or put sticky tires. Most 68s had the BOP gears behind the small blocks but some had the 8.5 28 spline gear. I have one in my high 9 second 81 Bu and it is all GM sans the Strange axles. Very strong if a 12 bolt is out of the budget.