dnnon-chevy question

monte70car

My grandfather had a 95 dodge pickup about the size of a Ford ranger. It has a 3.5 axle ratio and a push button for the overdrive. My question is should the button be pushed in for the overdrive to work ? Currently the button is not pushed in and my grandfather was seeing about 12 miles a gallon where his brother in law was seeing about 20 miles a gallon. The truck has a mopar 318 done in and its 4wd

I'm guessing there is no tachometer otherwise he could just push it and see when the rpms drop? If so and there is no tach I would think when traveling at say 70 mph and when the button is pushed he would "feel" it greatly rev higher or the opposite and he would feel it upshift.

My 95 Durango has a button on the shift arm that is for "overdrive off". A message appears on the dash to remind me when it's been turned off. If I turn off the engine and restart it, it defaults to overdrive on.

The only time I choose to manually turn off the overdrive is when I want a litte engine braking going downhill or in heavy traffic...otherwise it just coasts like it's in neutral when I take my foot off the throttle.