leaking oil!

Murphy

I've developed an oil leak, at first I thought it was proably the rear main seal as it is dripping motor oil between the motor and the tranny. With the frontend up on ramps its actually running thru the plastic shroud at the bottom front of the TH350. The car sat for years, that's why I'm not surprised when stuff happens. But upon further inspection, it appears to be leaking from the oil sensor\sending unit behind the distributor. No gauges just idiot lights in this car....Has anyone else ever seen this issue or must I keep digging?

Very common for a sending unit to leak and a easy repair.Our oil pans also leak and are a tricky one to seal properly,also distributor seal is another problem child but also easy to fix..

Murphy,nice truck in your siggy....

So it IS the same unit whether a gauge or the idiot light is installed? So you basically have 2 wires going to this sensor?

I'm pretty sure its not the same sensor. If it has 1 connector on it its the simple dummy light type. It basically is an on/off switch that operates at a single pressure. It does not read a range. You will need one with 2 or 3 connectors I think. It has to be for a gauge. That will read a range. I will try and find one as an example.

My apologies for misleading you. I was thinking you had or were going to get a mechanical gauge. An electric sensor will look the same but should have 2 or 3 connectors.

The possible oil leak sources have been mentioned. Also, as mentioned, the sensors are different. The idiot light is connected to a pressure switch which turns the light on typically with oil below 4 psi and off when pressure exceeds this, so not made for a gauge.

On my daily driver, I have a T-fitting that allows a pressure switch connected to an electrical idiot light gauge and an oil line connected to a mechanical oil pressure gauge. That is the ideal set up in my opinion.

I use a mechanical though some might not want to incase the gage inside leaks. Thats what happened with mine when I got it. Gage leaked inside the housing and dripped onto the carpet.

Electrical is safer though some say its not as accurate.

Hi, Murray,

I just replaced my oil pressure switch/sending unit (for the dash idiot light) last week because it was the source of a small but persistent oil leak. Oil was dripping onto the driver's side header, creating smoke and odor. I had to remove the driver's side inner fender to get to it as it taps into the block (BBC) just above the oil filter boss and the header tubes were in the way.

I was very surprised to discover that switch was the source of the leak, but apparently heat from the #7 header tube damaged the seal between the metal body and the plastic housing around the single electrical spade connector. I fabricated and installed a heat shield (using a short section of cardboard tube completely covered in metal foil thermal tape) around the new switch to hopefully extend its life.

The replacement switch I got from Advance Auto Parts was a BWD 5971675 and it only cost $7.99 plus tax.

I also have a mechanical oil pressure gauge, but its supply line taps into the block in a separate location below the #2 cylinder.

Hope a new switch will also fix your oil leak problem. Good luck.