MSD 6AL Box or MSD control module

72 LS5

My main goal is a rev limiter as its way to easy to break the street tires loose and over-rev the motor. I've got a GM HEI dizzy.

I have a used MSD 6AL box ready to install, but I really hate to add more parts and wires - I prefer the clean and simple approach. I'm hearing the 6AL may improve drivability with improved cold performance (no choke for me), less exhaust smell, and cleaner plugs. Can everyone verify this?

Then there's the MSD control module with rev limiter that installs under the HEI cap. Clean and simple, less parts to fail. But no multiple spark, of course.

Anybody have any input and why? Thanks

Andy, yeah, I was leaning toward the 6AL box, although its not so pretty anymore. Got a 5800 pill? Valve float comes pretty quick after that.

......unless you had installed some beefed up springs in the Performer heads you sold me. We checked spring pressure but I can't remember off the top of my balding head.....

Consensus here is run the box, which I will. Some other dudes have said it doesn't do swat.... I'll find out first hand.

Andy, I can't feel the valve float. The performer heads are almost identical to the GM heads on the 502, so I figured the spring rates are similar. The 502 is known to float the valves under 6 grand. I'm WAY under .700 lift, but that roller valvetrain is WAY heavier than a flat tappet solid.

Not intending to hyjack a post here, but I've asked both NGK and MSD as to what the glug gap should be on a BB. NGK says .035" and MSD says .045". Two of the most respected local engine shops who build everything from a little bump over stock to 8 second door slammer engines say there is no measureable power difference between .035" and .045". This has baffled me for a couple years now as with my setup I trash a set of plugs every year with all street driving. My dyno guy wants to try and tune my AED Pro-Street 1050 Dominator's intermediate circuit to try and lean out the cruising fuel curve as I foul out a set of plugs every year.

Not sure if I read this right but the 6AL has a built in rev limiter so there would be no need for a module in your HEI..If thats what I am reading from your post .. if not sorry

Paul, if he goes with the HEI/6AL combo, the original module can be tossed. You just tap into the white and green wires of the pickup coil and that is the trigger. The purple and green wires ground the coil for spark.

Or Mike, man up, buy the MSD Pro Billet dizzy for looks and that big wide Ford cap.

Mike, you missed carnage last night. Did my burnout, left off the foot brake. Hit a 1.35 60 foot wheels in the air only to smoke secong gear. Oiled the track pretty good. Ordered a new B&M due to time constraints. I thought I had one built and ready but i guess I sold it. Shop is us but I will take it apart as soon as the new one gets here. The smoked trans was a zero mile JW I picked up in a packe deal.

Originally Posted By: BowtieThunder
Not sure if I read this right but the 6AL has a built in rev limiter so there would be no need for a module in your HEI..If thats what I am reading from your post .. if not sorry

Paul, if he goes with the HEI/6AL combo, the original module can be tossed. You just tap into the white and green wires of the pickup coil and that is the trigger. The purple and green wires ground the coil for spark.

Or Mike, man up, buy the MSD Pro Billet dizzy for looks and that big wide Ford cap.

Mike, you missed carnage last night. Did my burnout, left off the foot brake. Hit a 1.35 60 foot wheels in the air only to smoke secong gear. Oiled the track pretty good. Ordered a new B&M due to time constraints. I thought I had one built and ready but i guess I sold it. Shop is us but I will take it apart as soon as the new one gets here. The smoked trans was a zero mile JW I picked up in a packe deal.

1.35 60'!! shocked Man that is ripping. Sorry about the transmission. Glad the fluid didn't under the rear tires.

David