monte convertible conversion

Im interested in converting a 70 monte ive had for better than 20 yrs into a ragtop. Want to avoid any mistakes. Have the donor car (68 olds 442 rustbucket). Understand that windshield needs to be sectioned in and full inner framework needs to come from donor. Anyone have a pictorial of the conversion process?

Yup,

our board member mjs-13 just went through restoring a Monte convertible. Use the search function to find his posts. Also do a search for keyword 'convertible'... smile.gif

I also have pics from his convertible posted on my website www.71Monte.com

------------------

71 Monte 454 HO 5- Speed "FULMNTE"

86 Monte LS "The Gray Mouse" FOR SALE!

01 Camaro V6

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

Sig.JPG

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

montesmile.jpg

[This message has been edited by Andreas (edited 02-12-2003).]

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be easier to take the donor body, replace the quarters with Monte ones and put the body on your Monte frame. As per the body manual the dimentions for the 2 bodies are the same. Remember to "box off your frame" for support, being that the roof will now be missing.

Good Luck.

Swapping the body would be MUCH harder. You still have to solve the most difficult part of the conversion, finishing the tops of the quarters where you cut the sail panel off the Monte Quarters. You might also would have to use expensive GM Monte quarters. I would try repo quarter skings. You still have to replace the outer wheel housings, trunk drop offs, tail light mounts, rear tail panel etc.

It truly IS much easier to flame (cut up) the Monte and sacrifice the parts car. Besides, most old convertibles are already more rusty that our Monte's so you also have to deal with that issue.

The frame swap is easy. Do box the frame for torsional rigidity.

Happy cutting!!!

------------------

Mike Strinich

Nashville, Tennessee

72 Monte Carlo Convertible

It means welding metal to the parts of the frame that are three sided to make them fully boxed, four sided. This makes the frame strong enough to not flex going over bumps and through pot holes, "torsional rigidity". The roof of the car is an important part of the body strength and you need to make up for this loss when you remove the top. All convertibles have stronger frames or unibodys from the factory. Most also have extra body bracing.

------------------

Steve