Changing upper rear tailight

john57

Hello,

Anybody got an easy way to replace the bulb on the upper rear tail light. I tried access thru the removeable rubber plug behind the bulb assembly but you must need tiny fingers.

Thanks,

John

Remove the chrome trim on the rear fender extension (three screws), and then remove the tail light bezel (four screws). The red plastic lens should pop off easily, though it might be stuck at first to the rubber gasket underneath. Then you can replace the burnt-out bulb.

Thanks Bob.

I did try this but as you mentioned the lens is Really stuck to the rubber gasket. I tried tapping the back side of the lens/housing with a ball pein thru the opening in the trunk where the wires feed thru but the lens/housing didn't budge. I'll try sneaking a dentist tool under the lens and work my way around till she pops off.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I've got a 70 monte, same color, vinyl top, wheels. I'll post a few pics when I get a chance.

Do you know anyone who has the clips that the screws holding the lens on insert into. These clips pop into the square openings in the metal. There are four of them holding the lens to the metal bracket.

John

Hey John,

Working around it with a dentist tool sounds like a good idea.

I know the clips you are talking about - perhaps someone reading this thread has a few they don't need. You could also post in the For Sale/Wanted section.

Or you could give Leo Konik a call. He knows everything about Monte Carlos, and is a really nice guy. I'll bet he can help you out. He's listed (Konik's Klassics) in the Parts and Services section - just click the link at the top of the forum page.

You're right, Aaron. I would try substituing nylon fasteners - like those used to retain the headlight bezels (John - they are smaller versions of the plastic "nuts" used to fasten license plates). Just snap them into the rectangular holes that are missing the original fasteners. The screw size is #8.

The Dupont paint store I work at has those little plastic things for the small square hole. AuVeCo is the company name on the bags and we sell the for $3.59 and the number varies for the different parts. Big bolts only have two or three and some of the small parts have 10 pcs per pack.