Spectra Premium/Radiator replacment

Aaron

Figured I would post some details about the radiator I ended up grabbing from Autozone. The description the store has on file for this product is incorrect,

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/S...66534_4648_5281

It turned out to be exactly as this described,

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/produits/specifications/CU165

Now I read all kinds of forums and stuff on the net last night saying some products are not very good quality. I figured I would give it a shot since it turned out to copper/metal instead of aluminum and plastic tanks.

There is a strange nipple on the passanger side that I have no clue what to hook to it. Maybe the 454 custom really did have something that went there. I just capped it off with heater bypass covers and a hose clamp. I bent a section of the support core and put down some extra rubber I had. It's not the nicest install, but it will do until I get back. I spent less than $200 and it's a four core.

img20120301083356.th.jpg

img20120301083404.th.jpg

img20120301100751.th.jpg

img20120301100847.th.jpg

Guess I got lucky on this one. Reply from my email last night -

"Hi Sir,

The late version of CU165 is aluminum, the picture and specs on Spectra website has to be redone."

Hello; I have seen that "strange nipple on the passanger side" used it trucks. The return hose from heater core was attached to this nipple. I don't recall seeing them used in cars, but possibly in full sized with a/c. We've just plugged it just like you've done.

You guys have any close up pictures of what I real 454/402 72 core support and top metal piece look like? I'm trying to figure out how the top metal piece with 3 bolts in it was deep enough to hold rubber mounts that could actually fit over the radiator. I had to rig mine up and still don't have it fully secured with the top piece. The bottom area of the core support must have been a little diffenret also compared to the small block one. I made sure I had no metal on metal contact and it should be good enough till I get back.

A lot or manufacturers are making multi use applications for their parts. They fit multiple applications and maintain less of a product line, and inventory space, saving $$$.