factory tires

I don't know if this helps but I have stats on a 70 monte and it says for a non 454 the tire is G78-15 (2 ply-4 ply rating) Base, fiberglass bias belted. For a 454 it's G70-15B Base, also bias belted. Those were standard. Optional was G70-15 (2 ply-4 ply rating) except 454 cid. It doesnt state anything about raised white letters and such. I would think they're all black wall and non raised letters.

As I recall for 1971, the G70x15 was optional when you got the rally wheels. This tire was a single very thin WSW. The standard G78x15 had two very very thin pin stripes. Not sure if the G78x15 was a BSW as standard or not.

I now have some very old GR70x15 Thin WSW tires like came on 1976 Monte Carlo's.

Bruce

Check out this link for Coker Tire, they sell the bias tires just like the factory ones. Put in your car info and it will list all available tires. I am looking at a 1971 dealer brochure and the standard tire is G-78-15 with 2 thin white stripes on the sidewall. Or if you ordered rally wheels you could get G-70-15 wide ovals with 1 thin white stripe. That combo was stock on the SS models. All tires were bias ply.

http://store.coker.com/product.php?productid=16579&cat=0&page=1

a>

here's what would have been on mine,

278787_33_full.jpg

One of these tires is the original spare out of Rob Peters '70 Monte, the other I found in a '70 Caprice. They are both G78x15 tires with dual WSW (white side wall) one is a Firestone & one is a Uniroyal.

here's what would have been on mine,

278787_33_full.jpg

One of these tires is the original spare out of Rob Peters '70 Monte, the other I found in a '70 Caprice. They are both G78x15 tires with dual WSW (white side wall) one is a Firestone & one is a Uniroyal.

Craig,

Wow, I only thought you wanted that old spare tire I gave you to use as a spare, I didn't realize you were going to use it to drive on. I didn't know if it was safe to use to drive on after all those years. I know my trunk had never leaked but I thought after all those years the rubber would have dryrotted. I am glad you were able to use it to drive on. They really look really look great.

Rob

Rob,

I'm just using the tire you gave me for show, its stored safely in the trunk, I just put the 2 tires on 1 side of the car with the fender skirts to take pics of it only.