1989 Camaro Z28 5-speed transmission

RickWillson

Does it have a mechanical speedometer drive or the newer electronic sender? There are tons of different T-5 transmissions even for 4 cylinder pick-ups (not strong enough) so be careful.

Bruce

Torque rating on 89 T5 is 305 ft lbs, You should be ok with that if you don't get crazy with engine mods. I think a bigger concern is clutch linkage, Montes had manual linkage the later stuff is hydraulic. Shifter placement is another concern. I think some camaros mounted the trans at an angle, not sure though.

Thanks guys. I found this tranny on craigslist. It is out of an 86 camaro, comes with bell housing and a rear end. Sounds like a good deal to me. My son can use the redend on his '68 Firebird so we might go in on it together.

Rick

Torque rating on 89 T5 is 305 ft lbs, You should be ok with that if you don't get crazy with engine mods. I think a bigger concern is clutch linkage, Montes had manual linkage the later stuff is hydraulic. Shifter placement is another concern. I think some camaros mounted the trans at an angle, not sure though.

Yes. The T-5 is set at and angle to the bell housing. I am working on a '86 firebird V-6 to V-8 conversion. And am keeping it a Manual. Had to track down a Bell housing and a 5-speed for the V-8. What Fun. This has been driving me yay and nutz