Re: Replacement Windshield Glass

Not sure this is the correct forum for this discussion but seems to be the one where I might find some answers.

Am looking at replacing my windshield (OEM A01 All Tinted Glass). There is a small rock chip that has been in it since I have owned it. It is near the middle & on the lower section. Not terribly annoying and has'nt grown.

Problem is locating a suitable replacement as what I found are all foreign made replacements. Has anybody had theirs replaced and what experiences have you had with that replacement, where had you purchased it and how satisfied were you with the replacement.

With little experience on this, would like any and all suggestions, advise to ensure I had selected the best viable replacement glass. I am to believe a OEM glass is no longer available.

Thanx much,

Doug

PPG industries Inc.. leading manufacturer of automotive OEM glass..I have bought two windshields in the past. I believe they now use a subsidiary though it is still PPG made glass... PGW/LLC

Thanks for your reply. I will contact them. I have gotten prices from $200.00+ all the way down to $88.00 from different vendors which makes me a little apprehensive and suspicious. All were selling foreign made & that also got my attention.

Thanx for the tip.....

Doug

I purchased mine a while ago, and at first I was worried in the quality & originality. Yet the biggest concern was it going to be MC exact, you know with the antenna hook-up on it. To my surprise, it was an exact copy, brand new glass, clear as daylight. The only disappointment, The PPG Logo? Not the (G.M. Libbey Owens Ford) (LOF) soft-ray logo that appeared on all tinted windows. The good old assembly plants (both now closed) in Norwood, Ohio and Van Nuys, California, were supplied with G.M glass. The good Old days! frown At the time I paid $127.50 for a brand new windshield, I'd imagine, they're about the same price if not cheaper.

Ditto on what Rod said.... the PGW is the closest to the original as your going to get. That's what I had installed last year....You can ask for it by name with your glass installer because if you don't ask you get the cheap stuff.....

I took out the old windshield myself because I wanted to make sure the channel was perfectly clean before the new glass went in. No one uses the old method of "butyle tape" (think I spelled that right), now the use a hot urethane that creates a much better seal and is stronger.

Steve

I placed an order with PPG today for the front windshield glass for $173.44 and will pick up locally Saturday. Just need to determine the best way to transport it so I get it home safely!

Oh and by the way, if you are looking or need glass replaced in future and use PPG Auto Glass, the P/N is #DW724 GBN for the tinted glass w/antenna in windshield.

A few years back the rear window glass was removed to address cancer issues in rear window channel. The butyle tape was removed and replaced with urethane to reseal. The front windshield glass is out, cleaned & ready to primer seal. Was concerned about rust but was solid without any evidence of rust. Whew!! As long as glass is removed, will have inner ledge between lower glass & dash pad painted to freshen it up as well. Urethane will be used to reseal just like the rear. The rock chip I referred to is no larger than the diameter of a dime and really unnoticeable. I'll probably store the removed glass.

Appreciate the help guys. I was concerned about making a bad choice as only wanted to do this one time (knock on wood)! Should a accident happen in the future that requires another windshield, I now have a good source for it.

I remember some time back there was a thread talking about replacement glass and knew you guys would direct me to the right place. grin

Much appreciated and all have a GREAT day.....

Doug

Doug, good thing you placed the order with PPG, Believe me you wont be disappointed, I've seen the CrinaMex, crap if you ask me. Probably half the money, though I believe Pilkington Libbey-Owens-Ford, somewhere along the line dropped the name LOF and went solo. A buddy of mine that owns a glass shop, "says" Pilkington still available in the glass market, though he likes the PPG product? Something to do with the difference in the laminating & tempering process? confused

• 3 weeks later...

PPG glass is ready to install. Cleaned and epoxy primered front window channel, now just waiting for glass shop to come out and sealer her in.

New glass looks really nice and appears not as thick/heavy as the LOP factory glass. I'm guessing the newer technology allows for the thinner glass ply and not just a cost saving measure.

Still gotta meet Federal glass safety standards.

Thanks again for all the GREAT advise. Now just need a Force Field to deflect the rocks away from it! no

Doug

Now just need a Force Field to deflect the rocks away from it! no

Doug, crazy that you bring that up. The crystal clarity of a new windshield is amazing.. so amazing that you'll notice every little nick from here on. crazy My previous windshield was so riddle with little pits, one wonders how you could see past it. It was pretty foggy! Just watch how disturbed you'll be when you get your first one.. Like a freaking eye sore.. lol

I have to get the windshield in the 05 replace now frown Got a nice crack in it. I went out of town for a week and it had a little crack in it that grew while I was away.

In the 5+ years I have owned the ole girl, that rock chip has'nt changed! Again small & insignificant. The next time will probably look like a crater and crack the windshield pillar to pillar.

Conventional wisdom would have likely suggested "Leave It Alone" until something more servere happens, thus reducing the odds a new glass would suffer a like fate!

Never considered the normal scratches and nicks that might show themselves over time. shock Cripes! Maybe you guys should have been talking me out of doing this. cry But it's going to look sweet until that day comes. crazy

Doug