Bad oil psi!

maddmann313

Bad pressure spring in the oil pump, gas in the oil, plugged oil pump screen. I'm sure there will be some other people with more ideas too.

As the oil heats up it hers thinner and will have a little less. As long as you don't hear lifters you should be fine. Is it an untouched and stock oil pump?

How many miles are on it? If it is stock original it is fine at 40 psi. If you are racing not so much, like everybody states 10 psi per 1000.

Mine idles at 20 and goes to about 75 at 6900 but it is a big block. Same rules seem to apply.

If you look in some of the old Chilton books they state 40 as max.

I don't think you have a problem. My fairly new rebuild is like Mikes. On start up, I get 75-77 psi. After running for a while, at idle, I show 27-30 psi. Upon accelation, the psi climbs to 65-70 psi. Highway cruising, I show about 65 psi. I run a high volume pump, not a high pressure pump.

My stock to mild 350 with a stock pump prior to the 383 ran in the ranges you have and I had no oiling issues. - Dave