Power Trunk release wire routing?

Hey all, grin

Ready to install my Power Trunk release & while I have the location measurements for power button in glove box, the factory wire routing to the trunk I haven't been able to determine.

Anyone know if wiring from switch to trunk follows passenger or drivers side? I believe the wiring follows up the trunk driver side hinge into the trunk lid much as the trunk light does. I'm guessing wiring follows drivers side to trunk but am not certain.

Just trying to keep everything as close to factory as possible.

Thanx for your replies.

All have a GREAT day..... cool

Doug

There is a flat plastic tube that the wiring from the front to the rear runs through under the carpet on the drivers side. If you look where the back seat is you should see it popping out to the LEFT (as you are looking ahead from the trunk lid) That should then go over to the LEFT trunk lid hinge and then up behind the trunk lid and to the light.

But I don't have the trunk electric remote lock on mine.....yet wink

It seems the only logical place for it and from my old 84 Grand Prix this was the way it ran up on it so GM doesn't change things for eons so I imagine all the same.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

I'm leaning that direction as well. Looks like all the rear trunk wiring follows the same route down the driver side. Can't see why GM would change direction for just the trunk release! Can't find anything in my manuals that even relates to the power trunk release electrical or otherwise.

If anyone knows the color/ga. of the wire from fuse block to trunk, would appreciate that knowledge.

Thanks again,

Doug

Doug,

I took this picture when I replaced my heater core (non A/C) 71 Monte Carlo. I think it's just what you are looking for.

Trunk wire + Rear Speaker wires.

And here is the entire album but I think by now everyone has seen it 8 times.

Heater Core replacement + other stuff 71 NO A/C

Hey Ian, I mean't from the switch to the fuse block or a hot lead. The wire that came with it was only for the switch to trunk. Your right! Orange would be correct for a power lead, but what ga.?

Thanks for the pic Bruce. I'll try and follow it's example.

Doug

I just pulled a factory-installed power trunk release, and the wiring to the trunk was routed down the passenger side kick panel and ran in about the same position as the plastic wiring protector/tube on the driver's side, but on the passenger side. The wiring was actually stuck under the asphalt sound deadener most of the way, and then taped to the floor under the rear seat. The wire then went through a hole the right-hand side of the trunk divider and through 2 clips on the passenger side trunk lid hinge to a hole in the trunk lid to the switch. I took photos and would be glad to post them (as soon as I get back from picking up a 12 bolt in Wisconsin on Sunday).

That would be great Bob. I was informed the passenger side is where the wire should run as I would have thought it should have traveled along the drivers side (everything else seems to)! Uncomplicates routing it to the other underside of the Dash.

Are you aware of the Power Lead location? To the Fuse Block or simply a Hot Lead Fused or unfused?

Much appreciated. grin

Is the 12 Bolt your after a Posi & what is the ratio?

Doug

I would thing 12-14 gauge wire would be fine, and I was thinking that the factory had put the wire in the car from the dash to the trunk on all cars... Guess not??

For the wire from the fuse box I would think it would be hot all the time and fused..

I think my 71's power wire is almost just loosely laid in the dash and not even secured. I did order it from the factory with this option so it wasn't a dealer add on. I have a partial picture, the red wire, just laying there.

Red wire to Power Trunk from Fuse panel

I'm guessing the power lead is in a accessory slot & probably really doesn't matter as long as it's hot always. Just drapped across the cowl looks good to me. Not a lot of additional detail routing it.

Appreciate the input guys. Now to get er done! wink

Doug

Here are the photos I promised (sorry for the delay - the trip yesterday took longer than expected, and I was swamped at work today - this is my first chance). The axle I picked up was a CCF code 3.31 posi. smile Hope this helps - please PM me if there are any questions.

Here the wire runs along the right trunk hinge - there are 2 clips on hinge:

DSC02667.jpg

Here is routing along the floor - as you can see, excess length was looped (not under asphalt. Speaker wire continues under strip of asphalt underlayment). The strip of underlayment was in addition to the normal layer, which was applied on top of it:

DSC02675.jpg

Here is routing into trunk next to speaker wire (car had mono rear speaker):

DSC02672.jpg

Here is the view from the trunk - note clip to trunk divider, the wire runs to the clips on hinge.

DSC02670.jpg

Here is the routing under the lid to switch. Note that the wire has a plastic sheath to protect it from the hole in the trunk lid to just past the hinge:

DSC02735.jpg

Appreciate the detailed pic's Bob. smile

That clears up the remainder of my guess work and can now proceed with the wiring and final install. grin

As I have a few other wants incorporated into this upgrade, hope to see it all come together in a couple more weeks.

I'll let ya know how it turns out when she is put back together.

Much appreciated and all have a GREAT day...... cool

Doug