Help me upgrade to posi

Knightrider

I want to upgrade my 12 bolt 2.73 open rear end (Code is CKD 0323B1) to a posi unit. But I want to keep the gears, 80-90 mph is typical on the freeways around here and I don't want the motor screaming at those speeds. I understand this is fairly simple and I should not need to readjust backlash if I leave the gearing alone.

First Question: Is this the appropriate carrier to use click Here. It does not list application as passenger car, only truck, but the note says that 2.76 is the high end of uses for that carrier and 2.73 is pretty damn close. The carrier that they list for passenger cars click here has 3.08 as the highest gear ratio to use. Not sure which one to buy confused

Second: Do I need any other parts or special tools. Maybe the cover gasket, washers, etc... 3 foot long monkey wrenches complete with rented monkey? grin

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunatly the two series posi is no longer made new. The last one I bought used was about 10 years ago and I paid 200.00 for it in good condition. Too bad I am not in a position to buy a three series (it will be about a year). I will be willing to sell the two series I have in mine at that time. I will be going to 3.31 gears. I just read Thanh's post and the powertrax is a good option also it is a little more money but there is no resetting of lash and bearing preload. It dependson how quick you are wanting to do the swap. PM me if you want to talk price. David

I have a powertrax unit in my 12 bolt and its not noisy. When make a turn you hear it click but once you get in a straight line it unlocks. About ten years ago when my was instaled we tested it and instead of leaving one black mark 25' feet long we left two black marks 50' long. As far as twisty roads it shouldn't be a problem.

Remember there are 2 different versions of them. I am not sure, but I think the cheaper one is the one that I was told was the better one for the street. The second link is the cheaper one...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-92-0788-3005/

pwt-92-0776-2805.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-1910-LR/

pwt-2710_w.jpg

I stewed on it for a few days, read through this book

51dXumnZD9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

And decided to just bite the bullet and get a 3.08 moser assembly with an eaton posi. Going to also upgrade to rear disc, but haven't decided on a kit yet, looking at Right Stuff. Got the rear removed on Wednesday. That sucker ain't light.

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0498.jpg

Josh, I have a GM 2 series posi carrier with all new internals(side gears, spider gears, old style 18 piece steel clutch kit). Internals purchased from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I do not have the install kit with bearings, seals, etc. I'd let it go for $350.00 plus shipping. - Dave

Thanks for the offer, but I've set my mind on the Moser, its what I wanted originally but I was just being cheap. Wife actually gave the go ahead to spend the dough if you can believe it. Told her it wouldn't be safe if I built it myself whistle

Sounds good. I know I am a little late to the post but thought I would throw it out there. Good look with the new unit. I'm sure you will like it. - Dave

Thanks for the offer, but I've set my mind on the Moser, its what I wanted originally but I was just being cheap. Wife actually gave the go ahead to spend the dough if you can believe it. Told her it wouldn't be safe if I built it myself whistle

That's a good one I need to try that the next time I want a expensive upgrade lol