Opinion - Roller rockers

gprimm

I am ready to put the engine & trans back in the Monte so I can drive this bad boy. On this redo, when I added Edelbrock RPM heads, I started with stock rockers, went to roller tip and now full Procomp roller rockers.

Question: do the roller rockers "tick" when running? That's one reason I took the roller tips off because on my sons engine they made noise and the engine builder told us before he assembled the engine that they'd make noise, and they did.

If they tick too loud, I don't know that I am interested in running them. If not, I will.

Yes, I know of the solid lifters noise, was wondering if the aluminum full roller rockers make a noise? I assume no. The roller tip steel rockers did.

what cam are you running? as stated solid lifter/ cam will make noise, hydro- cam should not, if you adjust them correctly, should not make any noise unless the rockers themselves are bad.

thanh

some roller rockers will make a little noise, especially aluminum ones. Nothing like some soild roller cams but some ticking, a lot depends on the lifters used and the bleed down rates too. If it's mainly a street motor and you are committed to a roller rocker I would use some good steel ones, they will take more heat cycles and are a little less prone to breakage...

Dave, I am using them because I got a great price. I initially had roller tip and before that stock. They have about 3,000 miles on them and got the rockers and the nuts for $45. Still debating.

Mom's car: smile

• 4 months later...

The roller tips worked with the stock valve covers. When I switched to the full rollers I had to use taller covers. I got mine from Skip White on Ebay, the "semi tall" ones for $14, chrome and they work great. I just bought a second set and am going to paint those Chevy orange. I like the contrast of the orange covers on the aluminum heads.