th350 no foward or reverse gears

Why a powerglide vs say an automatic overdrive trans?

Bruce

Powerglide is a racing trans suited for light weight cars, everything your Monte isn't. I would do a 400 turbo with a Gearvendors overdrive hung off the back of it.

Most, if not all, cars and light trucks since about 1984 have had some type of overdrive transmission and today's cars are 6 speeds and even 8, why go backwards? The PG was a good trans in it's day like the model A was a good car in it's day. There are places where you can type in your trans gear ratios and rear axle ratios and it will calculate your RPM at different MPH. (see link below but there are many) As a side note, my brothers 37 Dodge flat head 265 cu in six, now has a 5 speed OD T-5 in it and it sure is more fun to drive over 45 MPH now! (Don't stop to well)

Bruce

Ratio Calculator

Thanks for the info Bruce.

Not to get off topic or anything, but the pic of the Monte below your message, is it yours? I love the look of the black with blacked out windows. Are your door handles black or is it just the shade of the pic? Any body mods done? It looks great

Thank You! Yes, that's mine, taken by a professional in a studio for use in CARS INC catalogs and calenders about 6 years ago now. Everything is stock, no black out, just like it came from the factory, it does have radial tires not the bias G70x15".

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Update: got the tranny finished and installed, went to redo the brakes and had to get the rear wheel cylinders and brakes from a 80 Malibu?? Getting all that installed now and hopefully ill have it on the road for my first time driving my Monte. I'm beyond excited right now. I'll post how it goes later tonight