Trunk spatter paint for 72 Monte.

Hello everyone! I looked through some old posts on trunk spatter paint and it sounds like it takes more than two cans of spatter paint to do the trunk. Is that correct? I got two cans of dark green/aqua and two cans of clear. I thought I had better double check my color choice also. The previous owner painted the truck with a white/gray spatter paint and another '72 Monte owner told me that it was the incorrect color and I should change it to dark green/aqua. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks, JJ

I have recently done exactly what you are going to do. The correct color is the black/aqua according to the research I did. It will take 2 cans to give it a nice coat. I needed exactly 2 to do my trunk and it came out really nice. I didnt use clear and it looks good, but I'm sure that clear would be nice as well.

• 5 years later...

It looks like my 1971 Monte trunk is currently painted with the black/aqua splatter paint. Should I go with the black/aqua or black/gray paint for a 71 trunk. Not sure if it's original or not. I purchased the Grey Herringbone trunk mat and was going to get a Grey Herringbone spare tire cover. I don't believe they make the spare tire cover in Aqua Herringbone. What is everyone else doing? Any recommendations?

When I get the trunk cleaned of dirt, loose rust ect,spraying it first with a semi gloss black before the splatter followed up with clear because the splatter isn't waterproof as I understand.

It only takes 1 can of splatter this way and it covers the area well

Terry R

Steve,whatever Eastwood has will be fine.I don't buy the paint kits, a local hardware carries the correct splatter and I use the Krylon clear and semi gloss black.(all rattle cans) Black first than splatter covered last with clear .Allowing it to dry between coats.

Terry R

When I get the trunk cleaned of dirt, loose rust ect,spraying it first with a semi gloss black before the splatter followed up with clear because the splatter isn't waterproof as I understand.

It only takes 1 can of splatter this way and it covers the area well

Terry R

This is how I did mine with the semi gloss base and one can of the black/aqua spatter. cool I found out the hard way that I needed a clear coat as it is not water proof. When I went to wipe up some water on the trunk floor I wiped off all the aqua speckles under the wet spot. eek I learned that with water on un clear coated areas need to be dabbed, not wiped dry. wink Once clear coated your all good. grin

Monteinspose10-2-10018.jpg

3-4 coats of clear, allowing a little dry time between coats won't hurt .Just allow all to dry well before the mat is laid in or its possible the mat may become part of the body rofl

Terry R

I perfer gloss but It would be fine either way .You can try it glossy and if it doesn't suit you ,just spray some satin over it or (visa verse).

Terry R

I bought the Herringbone spare tire cover and it did not fit my spare, and I have the original bias ply whitewall spare tire. You may want to check to see if they have different sizes.

• 2 weeks later...