cam problems

allchevy

anybody had problems with comp cam 11-209-3 for a big block? I've got less than 500 miles on it and mine is shot. Just tore it down tonight so I haven't talked to comp cam people. Normal break-in went fine! Ran very nice until this year.

Have u been using ZDDP+ additive? Not as important if it's a roller cam, but I'm guessing it's not if your having problems this early. Carl

I've noticed a few people seem to have a low opinion on Comp Cams but not exactly sure why. You don't have a roller lifters so assuming the break in is far more important than a roller setup. Can we assume you used the Comp Cams Assembly Lube when built? How long did it sit before you fired it up the first time? If I was using a flat tappet cam I think I'd search out the blackish moly lube they used in the old days as you know it's not going anywhere (unlike some peoples opinion of the Comp Cams stuff). Good luck sorting it all out.

Low opinion...I wouldn't put there stuff in my lawn mower....

Sorry Tony...I hope yours is the exception but I went through 3 cams and on the last one a lifter literally came apart and the parts flying around nearly took out my numbers matching block (hole right through the oil pan less than an inch away from the block)...Their response..."We're not responsible, we'll only replace the cam". I now have over 10,000 miles on my engine...all Crane Cams stuff....no issues and lets face it, I'm not easy on the car.

Steve

if the pressures were right you shouldn't need to do that with a typical cam. I don't know when you bought it but they have had known core quality issues which they will quickly deny. I had a set of their "premium" roller rocker that all but froze up, I think I'm done with any Comp products....I would suggest Isky or Lunati for a shelf cam....

Did you spin-up oil pressure before firing it up?

What oil did you use for the break-in?

I used Gibbs break-in, with the lube Kelly mentioned and an

additive. I had read a lot of things about lobes wiping and wanted

to be sure I had plenty of zinc and ash in there. Have around 8500

miles on mine so far.

*knocks on wood*