flexplate

monte70car

I think this has been asked before but will a 350 flexplate fit on a 402big block? I have a 350 one which I'm hopping to replace with the bad one on the big block(trying to save a buck) or will I be better off with a replacement for a big block? Bot motors are interal balanced the start will work with either 153 or 168 tooth wheels. Right now the original one is still on the motor and the 350 on is laying in the garage.

I believe you are better off with a used OEM part than just about any flex plate you can purchase in an auto parts store.

Bruce

I'd have the plates balanced checked anyhow just the be sure. When I built my 383, the flexplate I was using from my 350 ended up being just out of balance enough to give me some vibrations in the 3,000 - 3,400 rpm range... and changing out to a new plate made a world of difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the starter changed out over the weekend with another one we had in the garage. The replacement starter is a little lighter then the one I removed and the teeth on the starter gear feels alot better then the old one. I will fine out tomorrow how the starter engages the flex plate, I do have the .10 gap required between the starter and flex plate.