Four speed conversion

Monte7071

I have a friend who is doing this to his 71 Monte and we were wondering what crossmember to use. I know the factory ofour speeds bolted in so can he fab the ends to be bolt in or is something else different.

My shifter bolts to the side of the rock crusher trans back by the tail shaft. I have a hurst short gate shifter,all other componets are from a 69 SS Chevelle. The OE auto drive shaft was the only issue I had,I needed to change the front yoke(rock crusher has a course spline)Ford parts Depot has a u-joint for the rear of the shaft,I had to change this to mate up with the 12 bolt pinion flange. cross member is from the Chevelle and I had to mount it backwards so the (CHEVELLE) trans mount would line up.Sounds complicated but its really not. Call or PM me if you need help and I will confuse you some more.. MOds I had to make were to u-joints and where the cluth pivot bolt to frame...

MY FRIEND??? is doing this. I have heard that before,honest officer its my friends dope..lol Are you sure its not your MOnte...smile

Mike it is my friend somehow I have a couple lol. He bought my old car and has bagged it. He also is doing the four speed conversion. I told him to buy a Chevelle crossmember but I think he is going to modify the original. I will let you know how it goes.

Everything with the exception of the "Z" bar can all come from a Chevelle. They actually reproduce the cross member and I've seen them on e-bay for $150. But you can probably find one at your local swap meet and pick it up for $50.

My 2 cents

Steve

What is this Z bar we speak of. All my parts came from the 69SS. Did I do a modification I dont remember? I am sure the only issues I had were ujoints and a front shaft yolk...I also remember making a piece of linkage for my cluth fork.

I now remember welding work on the frame,is this the Z bar.

All I remember is it took me about 2 hours to do this EASY conversion..