Horseshoe shifter conversion question

cbolt

I am in the process of modifying a stock horseshoe shifter to a 4 speed overdrive configuration and have a couple of questions for anyone who has done this conversion. The detent plate is bolted in on one side and it looks like some type of rivet on the other. Can anyone tell me if this is pressed in? Will it be better to drill it out or cut it or even just use a cold chisel? A second question; the safety switch.... can I use the stock one or is there a part specifically for the 4 speed overdrive? I don't really want to start cutting/chopping/drilling before I have all the angles figured. Thanks in advance.

Yes, and that is where I got the detent plate. No mention of how to remove the old detent or is there any mention of a neutral safety switch specifically for the 4 speed application.

I just checked out the shiftworks site and i am really impressed. My 72 has the 700R4 but all of the shifting mechanism is for the Turbo350. I am waiting for my son in-law to take a look see before I order.

The neutral safety switch is the same for a 3 speed and a 4 speed. As for the detent plate my just unbolted and the new one bolt back in place or at least that's how my went.

I wish mine were that easy. The rear "bolt" is not a bolt at all but what looks like a pressed in kinda fastener. It does not look like a rivet to me because of its size and appearance.

Yes, Larry, the Shiftworks has some really great information regarding their products. That is what prompted me to purchase from them.

Scott, I already fixed the issue. I had to press the fastener out with a vice and socket. In case anyone else runs into that setup during a horseshoe conversion that is the "fix" for it. Too late for pics, I discarded the old parts.

My 700R4 kit came today and will be installed in a day or two according to how energetic I feel. All of the parts look first class.

I know exactly where you are coming from... lol I am still waiting on a top plate and shifter selector plate for my install. Oh, and I need the wiring harness as well. Figure I have time to get my selector plate and base for the horseshoe powder coated because I sure don't see the parts getting here anytime soon. frown

I got the parts for Shiftworks yesterday and when I checked out the 72 it already had all of the correct stuff. Now I am waiting to hear form them to see if I can return the kit.