Cam Bearings

71 MONTE 4 YA

Nope. They usually last the life of the engine.
Originally Posted By: Sam (Bones)
ditto

buy if you see copper color, they need to be replaced

Thanks guys. I was going to let this one company do my engine work and they were saying that I need to change pushrods, cam bearings, deck the heads, and I was totally lost shock

Wow deck the heads for a cam swap. I don't think so. New lifters with a new cam is a must. I would get new pushrods as they are not that expensive. How are your valve springs and will they work with the new cam? Just food for thought.

David

Wow deck the heads for a cam swap. I don't think so. New lifters with a new cam is a must. I would get new pushrods as they are not that expensive. How are your valve springs and will they work with the new cam? Just food for thought.

David

I got new valve springs that the cam calls for. Everything that I got is recommended Comp Cam products. Springs, Lifters and I got some Scorpion full Roller Rockers. I will get some Comp Cam Push rods,

that thumper has more duration than the one I put in my 454, I only pull 9-10" of vacuum at 850 rpm
Am I going to need a vacuum Pump? Also am I going to have a problem with the Compression Ratio? The cam needs 9:1

That is a pretty lumpy cam. It will probably be fairly soft on the bottom end. What rear gear are you running. If you have not purchased the cam I might consider a little smaller thumper cam.

That is a pretty lumpy cam. It will probably be fairly soft on the bottom end. What rear gear are you running. If you have not purchased the cam I might consider a little smaller thumper cam.

Mike I have everything already. I will be running a 3000 stall and 3:42 gears with 255/60/15 BFG's out back. Are you saying there will be no low end torque?

Well, you'll have some, but the more cam you put in, the more that bottom end torque will suffer.

The idea of the bigger cam is to move the power band upward to perform better at higher speeds. Once the speed builds, it will pull like gangbusters, and that 3000 stall converter will give you a head start so slow speed power isn't as important.

The gasoline engine has a useable power band of about 3000 rpm. You can get more, but it starts falling off. You just need to figure out which 3000 rpm you want to use: idle to 3000, 2000 to 5000, etc.