paint

wandalee

Most of the time if the paint is not faded they can get what is called a blend-able match. The paint is really really close but they spray onto the abutting panel and re clear the entire area. I have also seen some shops panel paint because the insurance companies do not like to pay the extra time to blend the paint. At our Dupont jobber paint store we have an Acquire tool that takes a picture of the car and then the computer matches it up to a color that will closely match your color. We also can key in your VIN# and get a real decent match. Several shops in our area have this tool or a similar one to help them match up the colors.

Wanda, when I needed a small amount of touch-up paint for my Autumn Gold '70 last summer, I looked through all the racks of touchup paint at the auto parts stores and nobody handled GM paint codes that far back.

However, one of the counter guys suggested I visit the master O'Reilly's Auto Parts store in Wichita because they mixed paints to order (nice!). I just gave them the GM 58 color code and the year and they produced a small bottle of paint that seems to match perfectly. They would have mixed any quantity I wanted. Don't know if you have O'Reilly stores in your area, but they sure came through for me. Good luck!

Wanda,

Are you looking to do a "spot" repair, "panel" repair or repaint the entire vehicle to match the same color it was back in 1970 - 1972? Will you be doing the work or leaving it at a body / paint shop for them to do the work? If you are not the original owner the car probably has already been repainted and may in fact already be an incorrect but close color so be cautious!

Bruce

Chances are nobody will be able to get you an exact colormatch... it will come down to how good the painter is and how much blend room he/she has. older aged paint makes for a battle too.