Which brake set up should I get?????

140-11291-R_kit-lg.jpg($404.99)

F54519223.jpg($449.95)

Both kits are stock upgrades..both fit under stock rally rims & work with stock type pads and stock size rotors. Im surprised the SSBC kit is more expensive but which kit would yall choose and if theres any one with products by either company, how do you like the set up????

I'm not a real fan of the multi piston calipers myself. I am sticking with stock calipers on mine. With only one piston theres less to go wrong and one single larger piston works better than two smaller ones in my opnion. I will go with drilled and slotted rotors when the time comes to change them. I have rebuilt many calipers and I like single piston better. As far as the way they look who sees them anyhow unless your using big open rims that show them. Just another thought.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not a real fan of the multi piston calipers myself. I am sticking with stock calipers on mine. With only one piston theres less to go wrong and one single larger piston works better than two smaller ones in my opnion. I will go with drilled and slotted rotors when the time comes to change them. I have rebuilt many calipers and I like single piston better. As far as the way they look who sees them anyhow unless your using big open rims that show them. Just another thought.

Most days I would not agree with this. However, between SSBC's offering posted above and stock, I think the most logical caliper to have the stock one.

The SSBC's don't add much in terms of performance over stock - The pistons are still only on one side of the rotor and don't actually clamp the rotor from both sides. The clamping force will be altered as the mechanical advantage is reduced; the caliper piston area of the SSBC's is smaller than original.

Regarding looks, even if you can see the rotor through your wheel package, the caliper pistons are on the back side of the rotor.

However! There is one decent advantage to using the SSBC's. They will be lighter. Unsprung weight will be reduced if you decide to go for these.

Didn't realize there was an option from Wilwood posted...

They actually publish their numbers (saved me the work doing the math!) and they are competitive with the factory single piston surface area-

Factory: 6.47in^2

Wilwood: 6.28in^2

SSBC: 4.49in^2

I think the Wilwood option is best; saves weight (also made from alu), maintains 97% piston surface area and looks better!

While browsing BMR's website I discovered the BMR 4 piston option.

That is a full billet alu caliper and two piece [steel] rotor package. This is significanly more expensive but if you really want to make a performance gain, this is what you need to get. Not only do you get caliper and rotor, but they also provide a billet alu hub!

I wish they would publish the tech data on this. The weight reduction must be significant.

yeah that BMR set up is nice but a bit pricey for me..I think imma go with the Wilwood setup and some nice drilled & slotted rotors! and call it a day until I get the money to change the rear to disks!

If you look at it in terms of a package, the BMR is actually quite competitive. If you add a pair of drilled/slotted rotors ($130 ea.) to your Wilwood caliper set, you are looking at approx $664 total (before tax). For an additional $46 you get a completely different animal that is far superior to the Wilwood setup.

This is just my $0.02 and wanted to present the option as a whole.

I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you move forward with!

Just found the details on this caliper BMR is selling. Its actually made by Aerospace Components.

http://shop.aerospacecomponents.com/4pistonprostreetcaliper.aspx

Billet 6061 Aluminum Construction

Grade 8 Hardware

4 Piston Vented Rotor Style Caliper

1 3/4 Diameter Pistons

Internal Fluid Crossover Passages

1/8-27 NPT Inlet and Bleeder Screw Port

5 1/4" Mounting Hole Spacing

7" Overall Length

Uses 6.63 Square Inch Pad

2.5 lbs Total Weight <----

Includes Bleeder Screw Assembly

Fits Rotors .81" Thick

100% Made in U.S.A.

Total piston surface area = 9.62in^2 !!!

$165.95 ea.

I'm getting really excited by this brake stuff grin

thats a nice lookin caliper evman but the only problem I see is that it dosent use stock type pads..the d5 type and thats where the problems could arise..when i need to replace the pads..but those are some good lookin parts!!!