Fuel Pump

gronlit

My 70454SS had a long style fuel pump on it when i started the resto. im looking for a new fuel pump, and everywhere i look indicates that a short style pump is the correct pump for a 70. If i instead look for a 71, then they show the long style pump.

Does anyone know the difference between the two styles (besides length)? Is the short style correct for a 70454? Are the short and long style interchangable that the previous owner could have installed the wrong pump (would the line from the carb to the pump still work?)

Thanks

Tim

Tim to answer your question you can swap a short for a long or a long for a short. The difference that I have seen is the long one is set up with a fuel return where the short one does not have the return line. As for the hard line from the pump to carb its the same line. here is a picture of my stock replacement pump IMAG0059.jpg its the short style.

Hi, Tim,

I encountered exactly the same problem this past summer. The fuel pump on my '70 454 SS began leaking so I went to Advance Auto and asked for the specified replacement. They had to order it for me. A couple days later, I went to pick it up and discovered it was the short can version (it also had only one barb fitting on the bottom so I knew it wouldn't work). I had them check the part number against the one recommended in their computer for that application and they matched.

Fortunately, I had taken the picture below with me so I got it from the car and showed them what I needed. They had a fairly sharp counter-man who searched other fuel pumps and located one that looked identical on their computer although it was for another application ('74 truck 454, if I remember correctly). He cheerfully ordered that one for me.

P7113231.jpg

It was identical to the original in every way and cost less than $25! I installed it (along with new hoses, of course) and did not have to alter the shape of the rigid factory fuel line that supplies the Quadrajet. It also came with good instructions and a slick way to ensure the actuator arm was correctly positioned during installation (which was helpful to me since I'd never replaced a manual fuel pump before).

Sorry I am not currently living at the location where the replacement fuel pump box is located or I would give you the part number. I suppose a short can version with the correct fittings might work also, but you will probably need to reshape the metal fuel line to make it fit if you are running a completely stock fuel setup otherwise.

Good luck.

there is a difference between small block and big block fuel pumps.

big blocks used 3/8" line from the tank, usually with a return line

small block pumps used 5/16" line from the tank, and used both return and no return line

the larger pump if used on a small bock I don't believe will clear the crossmember

my '70 with a 350/300hp/4speed no A/C...no return, short pump

my '71 with a 402/TH400 w/ A/C had a return, larger pump

Thanks for all the info, i'll stick with the long pump.....Everywhere i looked indicated i should use the short pump, but i wasn't convinced....thanks for the confirmation. I do have the the return line.

After some more hunting around online and cleaning off my pump i believe its the original pump, so i'm thinking about taking a shot at rebuilding it. Anyone rebuilt one of these, any tips? Just bought a rebuilt pump with some big dents in the side of the can with the same numbers (...40768) stamped on the housing for $10....figure i can use it to get a new diaphragm and valves and practice the disassembly.....if i fail i'm out $10

we went thru heck today with 2 aftermarket replacement large pumps, wasted a whole day to find out both new pumps were bad right out of the box mad we put a used small pump of a small block on it and it works fine now...what a waste of a day mad

As far as I know, there's no way to disassemble a pump for rebuilding. They have all the important stuff crimped inside like it's in a tin can.

Now I remember when pumps were put together with a ring of screws, and those type gave you easy access to replace the internals.

2604889_L.jpg