HEI question

Riznitch

On a scale of 1-10. how hard is it to upgrade to an HEI distributor? Is it just as easy to install an entire distributor or upgrade the cap, rotor ect.. ect.. ect. I'm looking into a PerTronix Flame-Thrower.

I would say about a 3. I installed an HEI dist. and the hardest part was getting the old dist. out. Put motor at TDC, drop dist. in with rotor pointing at #1. Connect a 12 volt key on batt source. DONE!! The new cap also has a tach side to connect your tach to.It made a hugh difference.You'll need a new set of 8mm plug wires.

Mike

you lost me there, to upgade to an HEI you have to change the dist, just need to change the power supply wire so the HEI gets 12 volts, follow to feed wire back to where the resistor wire begins, cut it off and replace it w/ a 12 gage wire

Sam

On a scale of 1-10. how hard is it to upgrade to an HEI distributor? Is it just as easy to install an entire distributor or upgrade the cap, rotor ect.. ect.. ect. I'm looking into a PerTronix Flame-Thrower.

Do you have the origional air cleaner housing on your car?

The HEI is a bit bigger in diameter, so air cleaner and possible firewall clearance may be an issue.

I haven't been around a Monte to be positive, so check clearance before jumping into an HEI.

Petronix has been good for a friend of mine that was installed in an '70 Chevy truck and is totally pleased.

Plus the prices for both are similiar if you rebuild the HEI, new springs/weights, aftermarked module, vac. advance, cap, wires, aftermarket hi energy coil, ect. (even a reman. dist. from a parts store is priced high.

thanks for the replies. If it was a confusing question i appologize. I am a rookie and its been awhile since ive worked on cars. I'm trying to recapture my youth days of working on a car in the driveway.I'm a little rusty.

I don't have too much problem with the firewall. Except when I pulled the trans and the motor tilted back(CRUNCH). But I did have to try a couple different air cleaners.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 70 with a small block 400. The first thing i did was swap the points out for an HEI. I went with an Accel ACC-59107C. I had no clearance problems with firewall or the stock air cleaner.

I agree, the accel was a noticeable improvement on my small block 400's performance. It also allowed me to keep the air cleaner with no clearance problems. One of the few easy things that I ever did.

• 10 months later...

I have a 70 with a small block 400. The first thing i did was swap the points out for an HEI. I went with an Accel ACC-59107C. I had no clearance problems with firewall or the stock air cleaner.

If anyone knows Safco could you please let him know he needs to update his email address in his profile, or have him send me an email with his new address and I can fix it for him.