Electrical Gremlin

Its Just Me

I have what I call an electrical gremlin in my lighting.

My 71 M/C was restored by the previous owner, when and to what extent, I am uncertain, but I would say it was quite extensive. I’m sure this has been an issue for years, but isn’t really hurting anything, it just annoys me because I like things to work as they should. I’ve owned the car since August ‘12.

When I turn the key on (run position), all my dash and console back lights come on.

When I pull the light switch to the first notch, all my outside marker lights come on (as they should), and my dash lights remain on (as they should), but when I “turn” the light switch (as to dim my dash lights), my dash lights remain constant, but my outside marker lights dim instead. My dome light works with the door opening, but not when I turn my light switch full left.

I have a good ground from battery to engine and from engine to frame, but not sure about from engine or frame to firewall.

It appears to be the original harness connected to the light switch.

Could this be as simple as a bad light switch? Or a wrong connection at the fuse block?

Any ideas?

Scott

Just a thought, wrong H/L switch. There have been several people with dash light problems here on the boards and a 6 vs 7 prong H/L switch has been the problem in some cases. Here is a picture of my 71 OEM original H/L switch with 7 terminals. Two are connected together with a "buss bar" type strip. I'm sure more people will chime in. A question, what type of dash bulbs do you have std incandescent or LED? Some LED lights can't be dimmed I hear.

Bruce

Original 71 H/L switch with 7 terminals

Bruce:

I took a quick look at my switch and my harness. My switch has 8 terminals, my harness has 6 that actually connect.

Comparing to your photo (thanks a million) my switch has a terminal near the no.7 position in the photo, which doesn't have a corresponding connection on the harness (no harm, no foul), and also the harness doesn't make a connection to the lower right terminal (the one connected to the buss bar nearest the ceramic).

And no, I do not have LED lights in my dash.

Do you happen to have a part no for the correct switch?

Scott

Scott, sorry, no I don't since mine is original. This topic has been discussed many times. Try a search, perhaps "dash lights"

Bruce