Spark plug questions

cny first gen 71

My problem is number #1 plug is fouling im pretty sure its oil fouled (prob valve seals) but want another opnions heres what it looks like hope you can see it made it as big as I could.

IMG_0736_zpscdb3eb4f.jpg

Also I run autolite plugs its a stock 350 with a q-jet added (orig 2bbl) with a just above stock weind alum manafold I also added the pertronex ignighter I opened the gap to 40 should I run the stock plugs or go hotter or cooler? Thanks in advance, Steve

Hey, Steve, you might find the spark plug reading chart I found on-line to be useful. I printed it on my color printer and keep a copy in my garage so I can read each plug as I remove it. It will tell you a lot about your fuel mix and the heat range of your plug (i.e. too hot, too cold, etc.)

You can access the chart directly here: Spark Plug Reading Chart

Sounds like your #1 plug is different than the others so that cylinder probably has a contributing problem, but the others should give you a reliable base line evaluation.

Good luck!

Thanks Dennis ill print that up if I evev get my computer back. I pulled the other plugs out and most are burning real good so I guess I will stick with what I have and just look at that one after around 3 or 4 thousand miles or so and figure out my next step after that. Thanks.