Battery draining; with no apparent reason

domonte

Hi my 72 monte carlo was the subject of an engine transpant. It now has a 350 ci from an '85 chebby truck . there is a steady power drain on my battery, and always has been since, I was hoping you guys might have an answer for me: so here's what I know.)

There was a bit of an electrical problem before, but it involved my external voltage regulator being at war with my internally regulated alternator. I just unplugged the external one and it seemed to work almost flawlessly so far; exept for this drain. I've never had any other engine in this car as I bought it with no engine.

Anyone have experience with this problem? please let me know smile

thanks -Adam

1) Disconnect ground batterty cable

2) Put an ammeter in between negative post and cable end - cat switched off

3) if more than 25 milliamps, you have a drain

4) pull each fuse one-by-one from the fuse panel

5) check if milliamps drop after a specific fuse is pulled

6) your drain is somewhere in that fused curcuit(s)

Adam, what happens when you disconnect and reconnect the (+) cable? Do you hear anything, like some clicking, or perhaps can you see slight sparking when you introduce the connection. That right there would be a sign of a load. Another thought here is the VRs are criss crossed, you have to bi-pass the external completely away from the circuit. Perhaps you're leaving the field exited when it's not supposed to be? confused

• 3 weeks later...

So the fix was replacing the alt with a rebuild unit? I would be interested in the "what" was shorted out. Was it the original that came with the car? I'm a nut for keeping the original parts and having them repaired vs an auto parts "rebuilt" unit but if it's already not original then it doesn't matter. (IMO)

Bruce