Spark Plugs

Xxyyzz

Hey guys!

Last time I used spark plug wires that I cut myself. I don't mind the cutting but one end popped off so I'd rather have something put together sturdier by a machine.

Any recommendations for wires that come put together in proper length?

-Mark

You can get a pre made set at any auto parts store, but they are still pretty generic. You will have a couple of wires that are tight in length, and some that seem way too long....they work, but aren't real pretty.

I get a kit that has a roll of wire and a bunch of ends and boots, and assemble both ends myself. There are other kits that have one end pre-assembled on 8 longish wires, and you just have to cut to length and install the other end.

If you make your own ends, you will want to get some silicone grease for sure, and a decent crimping tool. I have a tool from MSD that clamps in a vice and struck with a hammer to make the crimps. This tool is deep enough to crimp the entire terminal overlap...not just a portion of it, and it looks factory done.

It's food for thought.

Here is the tool: LINKY

I agree with Mark and have used the tool he has as well. It works fine. I have since moved up to this tool and like it even better. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900400/overview/

One of the benefits to making your own is making sure you get the right length, as you want it. Some sets I have seen, most of the wires have plenty of length but there always seems to be one wire that is on the short side. Oh, and I recommend MSD 8.5 mm spiral wound. - Dave

I just bought a set of AC Deco wires and ended up cutting ALL! of them and putting new ends on them, ditto on the silicon grease

I have a set of the MSD crimping pliers, had to make a adapter to crimp the 7mm wires, my jaws are for 8.5mm wires

yea i had the kind that had ends on one side and I had to make the other side. It came with the crimper that Dave linked to. I guess Ill stick with that. Just wanted something more sturdy smile

Either way, a tube of silicone grease works wonders. It is also sold as "spark plug boot release". I use a small screwdriver to spread it inside the boots before I put them on the plugs. Later when you weant to remove one, a twist then pull motion brings them right off without drama. The stuff goes a long way, a tube will last a lifetime. LOL

Live Wires from Performance Distributers. They have great products. Have used them on my trucks and am looking at getting some tune-up parts from them for the Monte.

Not sure of the part number for the Live Wires. I will have to look. I was going to use the standard 90 degree boots, with my setup I think that would work best.

I just looked, I think the part number is C9053.

Most pre-made sets drape over your valve covers. If you want them to go around the covers, I think you have to fab your own.

Performance Distributers makes custom sets to go over under or around the valve covers. I like the over the valve covers because it shortens the wires for less resistance. Check their website it has the whole list of wire sets.

The stock setup was over the covers. They even had those cute plastic clips on the cover to hold them.

Around the covers looks nicer in my opinion, but you have to get a bunch of wire looms to hold them in place.

No doubt the over cover wires are simpler.

• 1 month later...

Pretty happy with the ACCEL ready made set I just put on. They laid out nice when put on with good supports that run along the valve covers to the back and then in to the Distributor.