Rear end leak

Shnalla

Hi everybody,

Do you have any idea how to fix this rear end leak ?

I want to keep my car on the road, I do not want to tear down my axle (My car is parked in the street...).

rearend.jpg

Thank you in advance !

I see!! A pinion seal leak.. well like with any other repair you have to consider your options. It can be as easy as tearing into and removing the yoke, replacing the seal and hope it stops leaking? The root of the problem would be my first question, usually there are other hidden issues with a pinion leak. A pinion seal replacement could do away with your leak, although is that a chance you're willing to take? There are many reasons why not to take a quickfix approach.. but maybe others will chime-in with their suggestions. Let's find out what you want to do first?

Thanks for your answer Rod.

As you said, it would be a good idea to know the root of my problem. I do not want to replace the seal every 6 months !

I am waiting for others suggestions before making a decision.

A good starting point would be to investigate if play exists in the pinion flange, also feel for excessive backlash in the mesh of pinion & ring gear, if so that's a good indication that perhaps the rear-end is do for some sprucing-up. Was there any whine coming from rear portion of the car? When allow to coast would it go away? Also excessive clang when shifting into gear? Those would be small tell-tale signs of a manifesting problem. smile

Rod, yes i hear a little whine from the back of the car (that's the reason I look at the rear-end), and also, I hear/feel a little clang when I shift in D ...

It sounds bad cry

Well welcome to one of the repairs that most wouldn't want to tackle, specially without the use of some much needed tools that would make the repair much easier. It can be done with the simplest of tools depending on your ability and resources. I will say this, no matter what it is essential to search not only here on our forum but elsewhere for the do's and don'ts. It can be as easy as installing new bearings & seals. Although, I'll give you a bit of advice right from the start, whatever you do, planning is essential, and the car is going to be out of commission for a while if you plan on doing it yourself. If not expect to pay someone heavy $ for the simplest of repairs. Secondly do it right the first time, instead of on the cheap...it is in fact a major and very important part in the drive-train often overlooked by many. It's not about spearheading with a bunch of after-market parts but mostly making sure that your ring and pinion can be reused. smile The amount of wear it has?

Thank you Rod.

I found a video that shows how to change the seal

. It doesn't look complicated...

Also in my Repair Manual, i see a tool called "pinion Flange removal". I think I have to buy this special tool.

You're welcome! Hope the repair goes smoothly, the video you posted is the simplest and easiest ways out of it. If it has a whine it may or may not get rid of that. A long drive with a leaky rear-end could be catastrophic, and yet most people can be oblivious to symptoms such as, and continue to drive them beyond repair. lol Back in my day, we used to put sawdust, and or banana peels in it to get rid of such whines, or backlash. kicking

99.9% of pinion seal leaks are the pinion seal itself. Think how old the seal is...40+ years maybe. I would not be afraid to install a new seal and clean up the surface on the pinion. I'd hate for you to tear into a complete rebuild for a $10 seal. While you are there you should remover the cover and replace all the fluid at least. Then re-evaluate if you think a rebuild is necessary. You won't be out that much.

Just my opinion on the pinion!

Bonjour Romain,

Concur with the above, here is some more food for thought:

1. Since it may be unclear how long that leak has been there, you may wish to check the fluid level before doing too much driving until you fix this.

2. When you drive the car, the fluid in the diff heats up significantly, raising the pressure inside. This pressure is releaved by the vent fitting, typically a plastic piece pressed into the main axle on top. If this were to get clogged or if for some other reason the pressure were not able to be equalized the pressure may blow the seals so have a look at the condition of this valve and the other seals.

3. As for the noise, if you are convinced it is coming from inside, taking the diff cover off you can look at the conditions of the gears and take some measurements to better analyse if you have a problem or not.

4. Gear oil smell is strong and not pleasant, keep in mind if you are working in a closed space.

5. Here is an album on a rear end refurb, Link to Rear End Overhaul. Although long and perhaps boring, part of it is about the diff rebuild. May be something in there you find useful if some surgery ends up required.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

Also check the universal joints. That could be the clanking noise you hear when putting it into drive.

Yes Bob that was my first thought !

Originally Posted By: footballubet
99.9% of pinion seal leaks are the pinion seal itself. Think how old the seal is...40+ years maybe. I would not be afraid to install a new seal and clean up the surface on the pinion. I'd hate for you to tear into a complete rebuild for a $10 seal. While you are there you should remover the cover and replace all the fluid at least. Then re-evaluate if you think a rebuild is necessary. You won't be out that much.

Just my opinion on the pinion!

You're right Scott, that is what I plan to do. Check the gears, check if play exists in the pinion flange, then refill the axle with new fluid. Btw I don't know how old is the fluid and I guess the seal is 40+ years...

Thank you all for your input !

Bonjour Romain,

Concur with the above, here is some more food for thought:

1. Since it may be unclear how long that leak has been there, you may wish to check the fluid level before doing too much driving until you fix this.

2. When you drive the car, the fluid in the diff heats up significantly, raising the pressure inside. This pressure is releaved by the vent fitting, typically a plastic piece pressed into the main axle on top. If this were to get clogged or if for some other reason the pressure were not able to be equalized the pressure may blow the seals so have a look at the condition of this valve and the other seals.

3. As for the noise, if you are convinced it is coming from inside, taking the diff cover off you can look at the conditions of the gears and take some measurements to better analyse if you have a problem or not.

4. Gear oil smell is strong and not pleasant, keep in mind if you are working in a closed space.

5. Here is an album on a rear end refurb, Link to Rear End Overhaul. Although long and perhaps boring, part of it is about the diff rebuild. May be something in there you find useful if some surgery ends up required.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

Thanks for this useful album !

Btw, MG, is this a damper removal tool you are using to remove the yoke ?

Thanks for this useful album !

Btw, MG, is this a damper removal tool you are using to remove the yoke ?

Glad if the album can help. The yoke removal is from a simple 46 piece bolt type puller kit, relatively inexpensive.

I just refill the diff . It was half empty.

The u-joint doesn't seems in very in good health. I know why i hear this clanking noise when I shift in drive.

I will change the pinion seal and take a look inside the diff to check the condition of the gears...