Exhaust System

Has any one found a tail pipe with resonators? I checked with Year One their pipes exit straight out the back with no resonators. Only ones with a turn down have resonators. How much do they effect the sound ? The system from the manifold back to the muffler is good and solid so im looking to replace from the muffler back. Suggestions ? Current system is Blue Straek glass packs with resonators and SS Tips.

Thanks

Steve

Steve check www.ss396.com I'm positive they list them for the chevelles, and should be the same piece for the Monte.

------------------

Dave C.

70 402 4spd Monte Carlo

71 SS 454 Monte Carlo

72 350 Monte Carlo

69 427 Corvette roadster

86 Grand National

96 Impala SS

• 2 weeks later...

Remember that the Monte Carlo wheelbase is 4 inches "longer" than a Chevelle.

A Chevelle system may not/probably will not fit.

I am sure Gardner's or Allens Stainless Steel exhaust can help.

Do a web search.

------------------

Mike Strinich

Nashville, Tennessee

72 Monte Carlo Convertible

Yes, but they share the same "body tub"

windshield, roof, back window, filler panel, and deck lid, are all the same parts.

Not to mention floor boards and trunk floor.

I'm pretty certain that the Engine is the same distance from the cowl, which leads me to believe that the exhaust would be the same.

The extra length is all in front of the cowl.

If there is a minimal diference it could probably be off-set with place ment of the chrome oval tips.

let us know what you find out Steve.

[This message has been edited by DaveC (edited 02-11-2003).]

Yes, that would be interesting to know what you find out, Steve.

Mike and Dave have brought out some good points in their posts above. Mike is correct in stating that the Monte Carlo's wheelbase is 4" longer than the 2-door '68-'72 Chevelle's. But like Dave mentioned, the additional length is in front of the cowl. With the engine sitting the same distance from the cowl in both models, I would think that the exhaust systems would be the same for both models, but I would definately double-check that to be sure. wink.gif

Dave

------------------

I'm Just Enjoyin' That Great S-S-Sensation; Diggin' My First G-G-Generation.

Originally posted by David Mau:

Yes, that would be interesting to know what you find out, Steve.

Ok, Here's what ive found out so far. I talked with Eric Gardner at Gardner Exhaust.

They only build complete systems, they do not just sell components. However, it does sound like they have a very authentic system. Their patterns were made from NOS. There is no difference in the system they sell for the 70 Chevelle big block and the 70 Monte Carlo SS. According to Eric the systems are identical. The same system was used on the 396,and 454 cars including the LS-6. Their systems are aluminized with the wrinkles in the tubing and the welded on resonators. As a matter of fact he said the taipipe hangers they used for their reproduction came off of an SS 454 Monte. It was nice to talk to someone that knew about the SS and wasn't just pushing parts.

Steve

Originally posted by Jim SS454:

I am curious, how much do they charge for the complete exhaust system? Is there any guarantee on the mufflers/resonators?

Jim, He quoted me a price of $590.00 including mufflers. This did not include SS tips or tail pipe hangers or shipping from New York. The hangers are $85 for a pair. As for warranty I did not ask. He said they do guarantee the system to fit. Plus 5 to 6 weeks lead time as each system is made per order.The phone number if youd like to give them a call is 1-845-876-8117.

Steve

what to the resonators do exactly, make it louder or quieter?

------------------

• 69 custom camper/cst 10
  • 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

deluxe"kermit": no carpet(rubber floor) no floor, no trunk still drives (D.Ot'd finally)

• 74 cheyenne super 20 454 SOLD frown
  • 77 fully loaded silverado

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1980 BMW 320i(at least it isnt Japanese)
  • 1981 ford f150 4x4
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)

ek_3.jpg

Originally posted by Hooter:

what to the resonators do exactly, make it louder or quieter?

I asked the same question when I talked with Eric Gardner. He said the resonators were designed to make the sound quieter inside the car, to direct the sound more out the back of the car.

As to changing the sound, and this is only my opinion, I think they tend to give a more low end rumble to the systems.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Wolfman28 (edited 02-21-2003).]