Does this sound good?

Mike Brichta

I am in the market for a new trans and wondered if this ad sounds good to you guys. He attends both Spring and Fall Carlisle meets and I have seen and spoken to him a few times in the past, just in case I ever needed a trans. He said he has been rebuilding them for 25+ years. Here is the ad:

Chevy Turbo 400

===============

- Completely Rebuilt with top grade parts

- Raybestos Stage I (Red) HD Clutches

- Kevlar Rear Band

- HD Front Band

- All New Bushings

- All New Thrust Washers

- New Front & Rear Seals

- All New Gaskets, Lip Seals and Rings

- New Modulator

- New Oil Filter

- Choice of Transgo or Superior Shift Kit

- Warranty - 6 Months or 6,000 miles

- Price $ 595.00 (less if you have a core housing)

I spoke to him on the phone a few nights ago and he said he is bringing (5) TH350s and (5) TH400s to Spring Carlisle in 3 weeks.

Comments/Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Mike

His number is: (215) 663-0143

If you do call him let me know what you think. He sounds pretty knowlegeable and is willing to take the time to answer your questions. I just never dealt with him before.

He also said that a TH400 weighs more than a TH350 and a TH350 uses less horsepower than a TH400. He suggested that since a TH350 also costs less money than a TH400 that maybe I would be better off with a TH350 instead of a TH400. Never knew those things before.

If I ever need to replace or repair my THM350, I would strongly look into an overdrive trans. Nothing built since the mid 1980's has had a non OD trans in it.

Bruce

Now that I have the correct kick down cable and everything is properly adjust the 700R4 is the perfect tranny. Good gas milage, smooth shifting under normal conditions and will bark the R255/60 15's when it hit second when hitting it hard.

With the 700r4 you will have to cut 3" out of the drive line. Most of the trans shops have kits to convert the 700r4 to your application. Take a look at bowtieoverdrive.com they carry the 700r4 and a 200r4. The 200r4 is more of a direct fit no shorten of the drive line and no need to move the cross member back. The 200r4 has a closer gear set in the trans vs the 700r4's 3.06 gear.

My first 70 came with the 300HP/Turbo350 and 2:73 axle . Everyone talked about how good a 400 is ( not disputing that ). So as a young whippersnapper , I thought I just had to have one in my Monte . I had GM dealer mechanic build one for me . Installed it , thinking how good this was going to be . The car never performed as well as it did with the Turbo350 . Yea I was a kid and didnt realize what I had done ,or should have done till after I sold the car .

The 400 has a higher first gear ratio . This works fine with the big block torque monsters that have a 400 standard . It just didnt work with my small block and 2:73 gears . Had I changed to 3:42 or maybe 3:73 I am sure I would have been happy .

So consider what axle ratio you have,what HP your working with .

The overdrive option is something that I have never really considered. Now that I'm looking at it, it seems like one of the best choices, since I am trying to make the car more drivable on the street.

At this point I have pretty much decided to go with a TH350. I have a pretty well built 383 (around 410 HP) and have a 3.45 posi 12-bolt in the rear. My current trans is a TH350 so there is nothing to convert over like with the TH400.

Next decision: My local trans guy wants $850 plus the old TH350 trans and he will swap me for a newly rebuilt TH350. The guy at Carlisle wants around $500 for a TH350 and I can resell the old TH350 or keep for parts. That's a $350 price difference. I like the idea of having my local guy do the build but $350 is a big difference in price. The Carlisle guy comes every year and sells transmissions and has been in business for many years. He will again be at Spring Carlisle (3 weeks). I am leaning towards the Carlisle option.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Mike

Why do you need a new trans? If it's OK but perhaps a little tired and leaking and numbers matching, keep it and have it rebuilt. Do you cruise or race it? Are you happy with the fuel economy and RPM @ 70 MPH? Each owner is different as is each car, good luck on your decision.

Bruce

I'm not a trans guy but what I am being told by the trans experts is that my current trans (TCI TH350) has a burnt drive clutch pack. Did I say that right? In other words, very little pull in any forward gear (lots of slipping), fine in reverse. Trans oil is black and smells like something burnt up. The local trans guy said it is the same price to rebuild my current one or swap him for a newly rebuilt one.

I have no complaints with the fuel economy and don't race it.

Thanks!!

Mike

If it's not your numbers matching original trans and it's the same price, I wouldn't bother rebuilding your burnt up one either.