water pump pulley

Ok i,m getting my pulleys together, and i find there are a single groove pulley and double for the water pump. I have a small block with air conditioning. i do not have a emission air pump. i see in the assembly manual that cars with air pump use a double groove water pump. I was told by a well know restorer that it should be a double groove pulley. I can see that would be better if the alternator belt was thrown, that the water pump would still operate.I just don't remeber ever seeing a double pulley on any of my montes.But when comparing the two pulleys i have, the single seems to line up alittle better.Since i only see in the assembly manual a single pulley being used, i am going to have to go with that. anyone have a double pulley on their water pump and is a oem setup without a air pump? thanks for any info

Keith I know when I had a/c in my the water pump was a double groove pulley and my power steering pulley was double groove. The crank pulley was a three groove setup. If I remember right we used the groove closet to the motor for the power steering, next groove was for the a/c(we wrapped the belt around the water pump). and then the alt. That was back in 96-97. I think you have the right parts but badly redone parts form the parts store.

I didn't think monte's used a double groove waterpump pulley???

I know big blocks don't, they used a double power steering pulley, I thought? the small blocks did the same confused

Not sure about the small block cars; my big-block is just as Sam described. The water pump pulley is a single groove, and the PS pump is double groove.

007.jpg

Both small-block Montes I've had (with A/C) had a single-groove water pump pulley, double-groove PS Pulley, and three-groove crank pulley.

Same for my big-block.