Help with 496 cam choice

Daryl

Hello All!

This is my first post here but I've been around for a while looking, reading and gaining knowledge. I've begun rebuild my Cali found 70 Monte. I have a good 454 standard bores to work with. My plan is to turn it into a 496. I have coming, as of now, aluminum rec port heads set up by Skip White for a roller hyd cam, max .070 lift, forged Lunatti stroker crank, rods, and forged pistons yielding a 10.5:1 cr. I got a 4l80e ready and thinking about a 4:10 rear gear with 28 inch tires, non tubb. What my goal is to have a killer street machine with maybe a pass or two down the 1/4 just to see how she does when done. I'm guessing max rpm around 6500. I would like this motor to last. Please help!

I personally cant help you with that Daryl, but I can welcome you to the club. Glad to see your joining in.

Lots of knowledge here as Im sure someone will chime in some suggestions for you

Sounds like you have most of the pieces in place. I would suggest a custom grind cam from Chris Straub. Crazy Davey on this site can help you out with the cam. You may need to get a torque converter. Coan is not bad for that.

Good luck

Please don't take this the wrong way, but take that knowledge that you gained from reading and use when you call cam manufacturers or custom grinders. Get recommendations from at least four cam guys and make a decision from there. Comp, lunati, bullet, and howards would work. I would call Chris Straub.

Is there some thing you don't like about it? I'm just a novice in this game and was looking for some advice. Please feel free to comment.You won't hurt my feelings.

Daryl,

I was just on Howards website, there are six or seven cams that would work for your application. I can't make the call on THE best for your application. I have talked to the Howards cam guys, they are really nice guys and very knowledgeable. Give them a shout and see what they think is best for you. It might be the one you chose it may be another.

Check their prices they may be cheaper than Summit and they are closer to you.

Good luck

Your absolute best bet is arm yourself with ALL the information you can gather. Car weight, rear gear, compression, true head dimentions, and anything else you can think of, then spend a half hour on the horn with Cris Straub. From there, have the convertor built by FTI, Coan, etc. Then pick the right carb. ProSystems, AED, there are plenty of carb builders.

Get with Crazey Davey and he can point you in all the right directions on all those go fast goodies that you need, and more importantly, you wont need to buy something twice.

I'm a little slow at getting your point that you were trying to make. Your trying to help me make the best choice and not just a good one. I'll give Howards cam a call tomorrow.

Point, take the best advice from those that have done it. Nothing wrong with a Howards best off the shelf grind for your application, but what if you are giving up 30 horsepower because their grind is close, but not spot on?

Chris Straub has them built to spec for your particular application leaving nothing on the table. And it will be around the same price.

And getting the rest of the stuff from Davey Nassimbine at CrazyDaveyRacing.com?

Easy, the old fart needs the money to go racing and he will get you best parts at the best prices.

Think aout this. Davey has an old white Chevelle with a modified by Scott Foxwell and Chris Straub 502 GM crate motor that on a 10.5 tire runs mid 9s at around 140. Nothing exotic about his build, just a very well thought out combo. And he runs a hydrailic roller, not a solid. Think about that. The Old Man gets to keep his valve covers on for hundreds of runs with no adustment versus every third run, and runs a time that 99% of racers run a solid roller.

Not trying to pump Davey up that much, just look at his results. If I had a decent budget and my goals were in the 650 hp area with built in reliable, I know who I would call.

And who am I? Just a guy with a bunch of cars. Five big block A bodies and a pair of 9 second G Bodies.