Muncie 4-speeds

Murphy

Let's see a pic of those seat covers Sam........So getting back to my original question, the metal floor hump should be added vs just cutting a square hole in the trans hump?

So getting back to my original question, the metal floor hump should be added vs just cutting a square hole in the trans hump?

Murray, I suspect you will need the tunnel hump for linkage clearance anyway. Although the factory Muncie linkage may be quite different, if you go to a Hurst shifter you will probably need the extra room as shown below. You can see the cut in the original transmission tunnel and the hump above it. This shows the long, narrow hump cut-out for the console application.

P3012409.jpg

I had to shim my Hurst shifter handle 1/2" to keep it from hitting the left side in Reverse but the bench seat hump cut-out is wider. A Muncie shifter will probably fit better in either application. Have you decided on a shifter yet?

P1130141_zpsa7a95a25.jpg

do you have buckets of bench seats?

if it was me....

I would/will(since I'm buying a tremec 5 speed) "make" a muncie shifter handle work

both the bench/bucket handles are available at most of the Monte parts suppliers (bench/bucket shifter handles are different)

Bench seats and plan on keeping them, does the Muncie handle fit the Hurst shift mechanism or get the entire Muncie shifter package/linkage, etc?

I think there is a tech article on team Chevelle on how to convert a factory Muncie handle to fit a Hurst base/mechanism. Ground Up offers direct bolt on handles that are a repro of the original handle, but manufactured specifically to fit a Hurst. That is the route I plan to go with my Chevelle since I do not already have a Muncie handle.

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you 4-speed guys have a picture of the Z-bar mounting? When looking at the sketches in my Haynes manual it's just not the same as a photo.........Concerned about the location of the Z-bar bracket mostly, thanks!

Thanks Sam........I didn't realize the bracket was bolt on. Guess I need to look closer as the column shift linkage is mounted there also............

Thanks Sam........I didn't realize the bracket was bolt on. Guess I need to look closer as the column shift linkage is mounted there also............

Hey Murphy, The column shift bracket is mounted lower down and on the Side of the frame real close to where the Reverse Lock Out Bar goes. The Z bar bracket is up higher on top of the frame...

Darren.

• 4 weeks later...