engine block preparation question

70MCx2

I'm in the process of building a big block engine to drop into my '70, and have a question.

I got a 1/2 NC bottom hole tap and cleaned out the threads for the main cap bolts; got to the bottom of the hole with no problem.

Switched to a 7/16 NC bottom tap and started cleaning out the threads for the head bolts, and the holes are different. I never did bottom out with these, just kept going. Are these "pass through" holes, or are they much deeper and I just didn't get to the bottom?

thanks, that was what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure. It's a '79 block, and I'm planning on using ARP studs on top and bottom to try to prevent pulling any threads out. I know early '70s blocks were stronger, but couldn't turn this one down - did some yard work for a guy one day in exchange for a complete engine to rebuild.

As an aside FYI, I used Teflon tape on my stock iron 4BBL intake to stop the oil that was leaking up through them.

Bruce

Thread sealer for sure.

An interesing aside, is that you can't pull the heads with the engine in the car if you use studs.

I never use a new tap to clean threads on a block. I use a thread chasing tool or a old worn tap. You just want to clean the threads not cut into them.